My First Cake Deliver & The Cake Died

Decorating By Hollys_cakes Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 3:42am by ysa

Hollys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollys_cakes Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 14

I've been making cakes for a long time and have never had a disaster like this one.
I've just started having "real" clients hire me for cakes, people outside my family, I mean.
A woman hired me to make her mother's 50th birthday cake.
A slot machine themed cake.
It was 2-8" chocolate layers on the bottom with chocolate mousse filing and 2-6" vanilla layers on top with strawberry filing.

I covered the cake in my own rolled buttercream fondant and everything looked fantastic when my bf helped me put it in the car.

On the hour+ drive up to the restaurant, the fondant started to slide down the cake. By the time we arrived at the restaurant, the fondant & the icing on the bottom tier (from the filling point down) had slid down to start edging off my cake platter.

I nearly cried. I debated whether to call the woman out to the car and tell her what happened or to just drive away.

The top tier looked fantastic, but the bottom was dead.

These people were not happy either. I was approached by 3 family members who played a nasty game of 20 questions about what kind of cakes I deliver to people.
I can understand they were upset & I would be too, but they were so mean and horrible.

I spent days making that cake and a 3D lighthouse cake (spectacularly decorated and delivered the same day).

I was mortified and wanted to quit making cakes. The only thing that turned my day around was the 3D lighthouse cake that I had made. I delivered it to a VERY happy woman who was going to call me again for cakes in the future. I'm glad I delivered the "dead" cake first.

My tip to anyone is NEVER try a new recipe!!! I tried the Wilton High Humidity Frosting recipe & that's what killed my cake. I will stick to my tried and true recipes from now on and I will never trust a Wilton recipe again!

13 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 14

I'm really sorry that happen to you! You might want to try Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It holds up really well in the high temps in my area. But try it on a practice cake first! Good Luck!!

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #3 of 14

Wow, so sorry they were so rude. It's one thing to inform you that they aren't happy and ask for a bit of a refund or something, but no need for people to get nasty!!!

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:19am
post #4 of 14

icon_sad.gif Thats too bad about the first cake *hugs* I know EXACTLY how it feels to have a 'wreck' due to a new recipe. In fact the one time I tried a new frosting (indydebi's) my cake turned glossy and wouldn't take to the viva pp towel method. It was my frosting disaster. I've heard so many great things about her frosting so I'm not sure why it didn't work for me-I measured and re measured, but it was a no go. I'm glad you had a great cake to deliver in the same day!

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:03am
post #5 of 14

So sorry that happened! Crying for you...Keep your head up... You can do this!

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 12:57am
post #6 of 14

Im so sorry that happened to you. I was cringing just reading it. Live and learn though. At least you know what caused it and you can prevent it from happening again.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #7 of 14

So sorry that happened to you icon_cry.gif
It's not bad enough that you feel like crap, but then you have people making you feel even worse is no help....
Don't get yourself to worked up, live and learn and move on.
(easier said than done, I know)
Jodi

Hollys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollys_cakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #8 of 14

Aww. It's so nice to have support and advice from other members!

I love this site!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

I find refrigeration REALLY helps for a good solid transport...esp for 3D cakes....best of luck!!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:35am
post #10 of 14

I know the feeling I had one crumble on me this morning luckly it was a practice
cake but very frustrating I even told my hubby now more cakes for me he said "stop it we all have bad days live and learn" I learned not to freeze my cake then try to frost them after they thaw a little
Sorry about you cake icon_sad.gif

Molly

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #11 of 14

well that is an experience.but seriously i do not trust any wilton recipe at all.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #12 of 14

Okay, you're gonna hear my southern draw come out in this one!

Well bless your heart sweetie! You poor thing! I'm so sorry this happened to you!
The people who came up and played 20 questions with you were not nice people!

Sometimes we all have a bad cake day or a cake from hell. I had a psychology teacher who used to day, "We never have a bad experience so long as we make it a positive learning experience"
At the end of the day, It was just cake right?
You are well, your family is well, you are well enough to do more cakes...

"After all, tomorrow's another day"

hausofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hausofcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:44am
post #13 of 14

At least know you know how to avoid that problem again. Not cool on the people coming out and hassling you though. Non- cake makers have no idea how much hard work goes into cakes - even the cakes that fail.
So sorry to hear- I would have been a mess in that situation.

Don't stop making cakes over one bad experience.

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #14 of 14

i'm so sorry to hear that..i also cried last night something did not work well..yeah you're right..never use a new version of recipe unless you've tried it many times.. tomorrow is another great day and to show your clients how great your cakes are..Often times..i will treat my self for a cup of coffee and forget all about it.. icon_smile.gif HUGS...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%