Detailed Trimming/borders Around Cakes

Decorating By Teenz Updated 17 Dec 2013 , 10:44pm by pdesomov

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,
was wondering if anyone could help me, I want to find out how to achieve something similar to the borders around the bases of these cakes...

I understand Ron ben israel uses molds (which I am willing to make) but just wasn't too sure what to mold off or how to achieve a similar look with it going around the cake?
Are there maybe wood appliques I could buy to make molds off?
Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks,
Tina =)

10 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 11

my first thought was just that, wood trims from home depot and make your own molds

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenz

Hi all,
was wondering if anyone could help me, I want to find out how to achieve something similar to the borders around the bases of these cakes...

I understand Ron ben israel uses molds (which I am willing to make) but just wasn't too sure what to mold off or how to achieve a similar look with it going around the cake?
Are there maybe wood appliques I could buy to make molds off?
Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks,
Tina =)

Hi Tina,

The borders in the pictures that you provided resemble moldings that you can buy at hardware and specialty woodworking stores. It is real easy to make molds from these items and then press fondant or gumpaste in them to create cake borders. One of them looks like a picture frame which is also a great source for cake border designs. The best way to make a cake border mold is to apply a first coat with silicone spread and allow it to set for about an hour. It will be half cured after this amount of time. Then apply silicone plastique on top of the silicone spread to add bulk and strength to your mold. You can make the mold out of straight silicone plastique, but because there are so many details, it may be easier to paint Silicone Spread into the details first.

Hope This Helps,

Dominic

Teenz Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 11

Thankyou both so much I will be on the hunt now looking for frames and detailed trims! I have some silicon plastique will need to get some silicone spread =)

Tina.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 11

Try www.elegantlacemolds.com

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:12am
post #6 of 11

Oh, almost forgot. They are under the vintage trims section.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 11

OMG, thank you for that link they are awesome!

Teenz Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:56am
post #8 of 11

wow thankyou! they are gorgeous!

Millyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Millyscakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 11

hi, anyone out here who can help me asap. i need to replicate parts of the attached cake and need molds not too disimmilar. thankshttp://www.distinctoccasions.ca/images/uploads/featured/wcolours_012.jpg

pdesomov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pdesomov Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 11

I know you wrote your post from awhile ago, but check out Sugar Art Molds. I've bought about 20 pieces from them.

www.sugarartmolds.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SugarArtMolds

pdesomov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pdesomov Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 11

Those cakes are beautiful. I had a hard time finding pieces that were ornate enough in my local hardware store. I bought some pieces from Sugar Art Molds at https://www.etsy.com/shop/SugarArtMolds or you can find them also at www.sugarartmolds.com

They have the most ornate ones I've ever seen! Some are really great for separators too. 

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%