Wrapping Ribbon Around A Cake Board.

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 1 Apr 2014 , 5:45pm by CupcakeK8

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 8

I covered the cake board like I was shown in class but I want to wrap a contrasting ribbon around it. How do I get it to stay? I've tried water and gum glue but neither are working.

I'm thinking perhaps the fondant shouldn't be over the edge of the board? The ribbon doesn't want to stick. Not to mention I can't keep the ribbon adhered to the press and seal.

Any tips?

7 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

I use a glue stick, a non-toxic one, over here it's called Pritt Stick so I'm not sure what it would be called in Canada. Its a solid glue, kids use it in school. It isn't edible, but it won't be touching anything edible. And to be honest even if someone starts peeling the fondant off the board, it shouldn't have any glue on it, and if it does they won't keel over and die.
You could also use double sided tape.
Another option I guess would be to use royal icing but that could be a pain.
Maybe others have other ideas...

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 8

Double sided sticky tape is what I use, works a dream, sticks smoothly and does not mark the ribbon and it stays in place no matter what.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 8

I use hot glue every few inches. Glue start, stretch, glue, stretch, all the way around. No one is eating the boards so... icon_rolleyes.gif

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 8

A couple of spots of double sided sticky tape for me.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8

I use Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue - nontoxic, dries clear and works well against fabric ribbon too. Just bead it around the cake board and stretch the ribbon over it like HereKittyKitty stated.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8

THanks ladies I have a few options now. Double sided tape and glue stick as well as hot glue. Perfect icon_biggrin.gif

CupcakeK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeK8 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 8

I've just seen this post, probably a little late but have you just tried using a pin. I find this works best for me, I never put fondant on the side of the board. Just wrap the ribbon around tight and pin at the back. No mess this way. It's also worth checking out www.bakingit.com. I use them all the time now and they are great for calculating how much ribbon you need. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%