I'm New And Thinking About Starting A Business

Business By disney16 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm by cakesdivine

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 5

I live in the state of Texas and I know they don't allow you to sell from your home. So am I allowed to rent space from a local place for example a donut shop and then be considered legal? What else do I need to do and do you all also suggest I get a LLC. I still undecided since I don't sell enough to really rent anywhere but if I want to get serious about this I really need to know what to do.

Thanks in advance

4 replies
vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 5

Just read through the cake business forum as much as you can. You'll find the answer to alot of your questions in there. There is a lot of really helpful information.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 5

Some commercial kitchen rentals allow you to rent by the hour with minimal startup costs. You will need to be inspected by the local health department in the commercial kitchen (or the restaurant kitchen you rent) and get a business license.

I highly recommend forming an LLC to protect your personal assets, but the most important step to take is getting liability insurance.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 5

Texas has a cottage bill in the works. Go here and see how you can help get it passed, then you can work from home!


cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 5

disney16 - You need to contact your local HD to find out if you can use a rental kitchen. Since you don't say what part of TX you are in, I can't really say. I heard that Harris County has changed it's guidelines and if you are in Harris Co. they no longer allow shared kitchen use.

If your local HD allows it then you have to apply for a license and the kitchen will need to be reinspected. Your local HD will tell you which type of license you will need to apply for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%