Fondant Flowers?

Decorating By Louise0303 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm by TexasSugar

Louise0303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louise0303 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 4

Hello
Im from South Africa, Cape Town and where i am we cannot get all the nice baking equipment here and if we can get it, it is astonomical prices.
We dont get magazines either to help me along, or none that i can find.

I would like to learn how to make fondant or as I know it marzipan flowers.

I would need to self teach myself and when i play around with it, they dont look elegant or beautiful, just horrid.

I dont do cakes professional, just for family and friends.

Any help will be great.

3 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 4

Tonedna, aka Edna De La Cruz, a CC member, has some great videos on youtube. She has one making a rose just using gumpaste cut with a round cutter, and then using simple tools to shape the petals. It's actually a 5 or 6 part series. Here's a link to the first.

She also has some great videos on making calla lilies. Just watch and practice! The nice thing about youtube is you can watch over and over!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4

you can get sugar flower books at most libraries, Alan Dunns books are great, also if you look in CNA you will find a magazine called "Cake" it comes out once a month and has very detailed instructions.
Also a great group to join is the South African cake decorators guild. Their website is www.sacdg.webs.com
They have great teachers.

The best flower equipmet to buy is from JEM, as they are in South Africa (KZN) they are very reasonably priced. also if you make contact with the guild they will be able to tell you where to buy metal cutters and dusts locally.

HTH!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654803.html

Check out this thread. Rylan has listed out tons and I mean tons of flower tutorials that he has come across on the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%