Help Please. New To This.

Decorating By honeydrop Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm by honeydrop

honeydrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeydrop Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 3

I am making my grandson a Mario cake for his Birthday. I have made many of the characters from molding chocolate and tootsie rolls. My problem is...I will make a large Mario for the top of the cake..I know that solid chocolate will be too heavy and I was wondering if I can safely cover Styrofoam. I don't want to poison the party goers. I know i could use rice crispy treats but that would mean making it the last few days before the party and since I am new to this its pretty slow going so I thought Styrofoam may work.

Help please....

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 3

Styrofoam or rice krispies would work. I actually find making figures like that from rice krispies works better at least a week in advance so they have some time to set up.

As long as you have all of the styrofoam covered there won't be any issues with it touching the cake that will get eaten.

Also, as for the solid chocolate, you could do that also, but you'd need to set it on a cake board and put dowels underneath it to support the weight, but it can be done too.

honeydrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeydrop Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 3

I really enjoy making the cakes but of course its a learning process. Its nice to have people like you, and this site to go to for help. Thanks a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%