How Should I Store Fondant Cutouts For Cookies?

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm by peg818

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 5

I think this has been answered before, but I sure can't find it. I'm making 600 cookies for my daughter's wedding and am planning to cut out the fondant this weekend - what's the best way to store them until I make the cookies in 2 weeks?

Will they still "melt" on the cookie right out of the oven even if they are a few weeks old?

Do I keep them airtight?

Thanks so much for your help.

4 replies
Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

I have had no luck trying to keep the fondant cutouts for any length of time as it always gets too dry. I just do the cookie cutouts and freeze them ahead. As I put each pan in the oven to bake, I cut the fondant shapes then and place them on the hot cookies. I would really be interested in what advice people have on this situation.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 5

For me its just easier to do the fondant as I do the cookies. Trying to store the fondant it will either dry out, or get tacky when stored in airtight containers. That and sometimes the fondant has to be adjusted to the cookie size due to the minor spreading when baking. I have not had great success with placing the fondant on straight out of the oven. Other than heat there is no binder for the two once its room temp. Corn syrup works pretty well. Post pics when your done!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 5

Since I have to make over 600 cookies I took the plunge and cut out the fondant, brushed it with pearl dust and boxed them. I will be baking them this weekend so I will let you know how they come out.

I thought of doing it as I bake the cookies (that's what I usually do), but with the volume I couldn't with only 1 oven. I can't imagine how long that would take me.

I will get back to you and hopefully with good news (and pics).
icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

What i do, is line a tupperware container with plastic wrap then layer the fondant cutout, top each layer of fondant with more plastic wrap and seal the container until ready to use.

Only problem i have is sometimes i stack to many and the bottom cut outs end up with plastic wrap wrinkles, but usually i'm able to smooth out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%