Would You Say Anything?

Decorating By Lenette Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm by costumeczar

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 4

I had a wedding today. I strongly encouraged the bride to use sugar flowers but she insisted on fresh. I spoke to the florist about 2 weeks ago when she explained to me that she just sticks the stems into the cake. I told her that wouldn't work. So, after talking with her I said I would talk to the bride so we could all get on the same page.

I talked to the bride who said she was meeting with the florist and would get things straightened out as she agreed with me about the flower stems. I was told that the florist would make the topper with oasis and a base and then find the plastic floral stem thingies (sorry can't remember name) for the other small bunches.

Well fast forward to today and the florist shows up with stems. She wrapped them in floral tape which she says the bride agreed to. I ended up wrapping the floral tape in plastic wrap and putting the flowers on the cake.

I am very upset about this but I'm not sure if I should say anything to the bride or just wait and see what she says. I am really tired of the fresh flower thing. I mean, when it is something as simple as a rose there is really no reason not to use gumpaste. I know that the florist and bride don't think there is a food safety issue but I feel it would reflect on me if on the off chance something were to be wrong. Not to mention the overall appearance of the cake. I do not think it looked as good as if I had some control over the size, arrangements and greenery in relation the the dimensions of the cake.

I am really thinking of just saying "no fresh" and if they want to go elsewhere then fine. It's not worth my worry and stress today. I am really worried she is going to complain to me and then if I make a statement about the flowers it's like I am trying to shift the blame. I'm just so upset and unhappy about how this went.

Sorry this was long. Would you email the bride or just let it go?

3 replies
Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 4

I personally wouldn't email her, but if she comes back to you, I would be very clear about telling her where the responsibility lies - you made a very big effort to tell both the florist AND the bride of the risks of fresh flowers...especially ones just STUCK into the cake!! The Bride made her decision when she told the florist it was OK to wrap the stems in florist tape...her responsbility

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 4

I'm with Moondance.

In the future, maybe you can put a clause in your contract saying that the stem holders MUST be used or you won't be putting fresh flowers on the cake, and if any are added later, you're not to blame from any fallout from the flowers or any damage done to the cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 4

You can put a clause in your contract that says that you're the one who has to put any fresh flowers on your cake. I always tell brides that even if fresh flowers are organic, would they want to drink the water that they'd been sitting in? They usually get the point and go with gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%