Should I Stencil? Type Of Icing?

Baking By CharliesMom09 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm by Montrealconfections

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 3

This will be my first attempt at making "real" decorated cookies. I'm an amateur having fun. : ) My husband is a school administrator, and I'd like to make cookies with the school's crest on them for him to give to the teachers on the first day of school. I want the icing to taste good, and I want to be able to package the cookies individually without messing them up.

1. What would be a good method to use to create the crest? I was thinking of making a stencil... ? (see attachment for school crest)

2. What type of icing would you recommend that would work and would taste good? Perusing old posts I see a lot of people use MMF or glace for cookies... which one (or something else) would be best for the background? What could I use for the part I'm stenciling on (or for whatever method you suggest)?

Many TIA! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 3

For the life of me I can't get the pic of the school's crest to attach. icon_sad.gif It's in the shape of a shield. There's a white outline, then it's filled in with a blue background and it has a white cross on it (with a fancy shape on end of each arm of the cross). Basically, blue background with fancy white cross.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 3

You can get a crest cookie cutter then pip a white outline flood the cookie with blue icing once dry place the cross stencil on top and with your spatula apply the cross to the cookie. Using a stencil will ensure a consistent professional looking finish. I've seen some folks make the stencil using the top plastic lid off a coffee can (food safe plastic which is thick to give the cookie some depth). I use royal icing on my cookies not sure how it would work with glace?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%