Gasp!! I Am A Little Scared To Use My Agbay!!??...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 3:11am by sillywabbitz

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am beyond pleased with me new Cake Level. My Agbay was delivered yesterday!!!!!! It is HUGE compared to my ity, bity, teeny, crapy, worthless, Wilton small level I have been using!

It is a little intimating actually, BUT I cannot wait to use it!!! I have two cakes next week, and plan on leveling away!!!

For those who have one already, I have a question for you. The little booklet insert included mentions a cutting helpful tip. It says that I can place a non-skid mat under the cake and then cut. I thought that was a cool tip!

Have any of you cakers done that before? I have seen the youtube video and Sharon Z video on it. It amazes me that the cake does not move at all when they go slicing through it?? My luck, the cake will move all over the place...

Thanks,
Michael icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 10

I have done it both ways. I prefer putting a non-stick mat under the cake board and then leveling the cake. I also level each cake layer using the same setting and number of cake boards, then I go back and torte each layer so that I'm not constantly re-adjusting my agbay.

Another important point. This thing is SHARP!!!!! I sliced my finger on it once. Not while leveling a cake but I had it sitting out and didn't put the blade protector on and just happen to reach past it and catch the blade. Always put the blade protectors on as soon as your done using it and wiping it down.

LOVE, LOVE my Agbay but a little fear is healthyicon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks!

I was surprised how sharp it was. Now I get why that guard was on there!

Thanks for the Tip!

Michael icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 10

notice how I did it, I have one hand on top of the cake as I slice... that prevents it from moving. I have not used non skid and never had a problem. have fun!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 10

I do the same one hand on the cake the other moving the leveler through it.

Mikel79 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks folks!

SZ.. I am getting ready to pop your DVD in again!! Love your DVD's.!!!!!

Thanks again!

Michael icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 10

I do the one hand on top thing also. It's not the Agbay recommended method, but I've found it works best. And YES it's sharp. I have had many wounds before I learned proper respect.

Mikel79 Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 11:43am
post #8 of 10

O-M-G ! ! ! !

I used the Agbay for the first time last night. What an AMAZING difference. That blade cut through that cake like it was soft butter!!!!!!! It took me not even 5 minutes to do both cakes.

The piece of crap Wilton level would take me forever to do. I would usually have to start the cut with a sharp knife!!!!!

Got another cake to do tonight,.... I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=)

Michael icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 10

Aggghhh, I want an Agbay!!!! icon_cry.gif
Hmmm yeah, please make a note that I'm only a hobby baker, but I just hate, hate, hate the Wilton level icon_mad.gif and every time I use it some unnecessary language comes out of my mouth tapedshut.gificon_redface.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 10

Hey Rosie, I'm a hobby baker too but honestly I could not recommend a better investment. Everytime I bought anything for more than $20 , I kept thinking that could have gone to my agbay. 10 shirts for $20 is your agbay (if you're a clothes personicon_smile.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%