is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin on?

52 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 53

Hi Leah,

Well, you won't believe it but I actually have a week OFF...yup, I know, unbelievable. Naturally tho I'm not completely cake free...LOL...by my own choice. I'm working on a large magnolia flower for a cake due mid Sept and going to make cupcakes for a girls night tomorrow. So while there are no paying clients this weekend I'm still "dabbling"<G>
After a long summer (ok, lets be honest, since the end of April) I'm seriously enjoying all this free time.

How about you?

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 53

one, 3 tier wedding cake done.
one, 4 tier wedding cake done.
starting work on another 4 tier wedding cake.
Still have to do a little, simple groom's cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

one, 3 tier wedding cake done.
one, 4 tier wedding cake done.
starting work on another 4 tier wedding cake.
Still have to do a little, simple groom's cake.

wish I had HALF of what you are working on icon_redface.gif

I'm just working on a Minnie Mouse cake icon_sad.gif while it's just a tad of money the money can be gone already since my husband wanted to go to a baseball game icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 53

I've only had one cake for the last three weeks and only have one for next week.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #6 of 53

Wow! I would have an anxiety attack. icon_razz.gif

I have a 2-tier round in the oven for my SILs bday tomorrow. I finished work on my largest project to date today too. Pretty proud of it, and it took me 9 HOURS. Not that big either. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 53

Yeah, Erin, I'm having an anxiety attack at the slow business.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 53
Quote:

Yeah, Erin, I'm having an anxiety attack at the slow business.

slow for you too, huh? icon_redface.gif

I have been running a $10 off order on my fb for the last 3 days and have not had ONE bite icon_confused.gif i'm very disappointed in this icon_sad.gif

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:06am
post #9 of 53

aaannnnddd I juuuust stuck 3 fingers right into the side of my cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif this is how I know it's getting too late for me. icon_wink.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 53

I'm here, but I can't get to the posts through the home page!

Working on my son's 7th birthday cake, Ben 10 themed. He actually made the cake himself and hubby is making the figures. Got off easy this year with just icing the cake!

I was very slow during the end of July/beginning of August but picked up once school started down here, especially with last minute orders.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:09am
post #11 of 53

I can *not* make a cake without sticking at least 1 finger in it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

aaannnnddd I juuuust stuck 3 fingers right into the side of my cake icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif this is how I know it's getting too late for me. icon_wink.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:11am
post #12 of 53

I got back Monday evening from ICES and only have 2 wedding cakes for tomorrow and they are all done. Yea for me.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #13 of 53

darnit! now I accidentally deleted my profile picture and can't get one back on icon_cry.gif

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:18am
post #14 of 53

ummm...Leah, YOU SKIPPED US AHEAD 2 MONTHS! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif you put us at 10.20.10 and it's 08.20.10 icon_wink.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #15 of 53

I've been running a "buy your wedding cake and get 2 dozen free cupcakes for the kids at your reception" special. Not even an inquiry. Also have a "buy your wedding cake and get $50 off a candy buffet". Ditto, no bites.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #16 of 53

Thanks Step. Duh. Lemme see if can fix it. I NEVER know what day it is.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #17 of 53

fixed.

Geez, and I even looked at a calendar.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:23am
post #18 of 53
Quote:

I've been running a "buy your wedding cake and get 2 dozen free cupcakes for the kids at your reception" special. Not even an inquiry. Also have a "buy your wedding cake and get $50 off a candy buffet". Ditto, no bites.

woooow icon_surprised.gif i am really surprised. I just don't get it icon_sad.gif

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #19 of 53
Quote:

fixed.

Geez, and I even looked at a calendar.

thumbs_up.gif you're awesome! Just wanted to tease ya a bit icon_wink.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #20 of 53

I need some help! I'm working on a 10" round with pink mff and a 3D cuddly bear on top. The buttercream underneath the mmf is doing something crazy and the darn thing won't set. Consequently, the sides are all mushy and torn. Top is fine. I've already stacked and doweled, so I don't think I can disassemble and re-do, so I need to come up with some serious side camouflage.

Dots and stripes are the only things I can think of. But dots won't give me enough coverage and I don't know how I would cover the tops of the stripes around the bear, since he's already in place.

Any ideas to hide these mushy torn sides?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #21 of 53

Happy Friday everyone.

It's been crazy-busy for me. I'm a hobby baker and don't usually have more than a single cake every now/then. This week I have a 3 tier stacked cake for my cousin's baby shower tomorrow and a carved hula girl w/smash cake & mini cupcakes for a friend's daughter's 1st bday.

I baked & froze the cakes for the hula girl early in the week to help my stress. Of course, it was the 3-tier that gave me fits. (See my tale of woe over on the Cake Disasters forum)

After a LATE night last night, today was all about getting my confidence back and getting cakes done. Thankfully it was a successful day. The baby shower cake is done until I stack it tomorrow at the party. The hula girl was a huge hit w/my friend (she cried a little).

All that is left is to make a batch of Indy's frosting for cupcakes and prep all the party gear that needs to go to the baby shower.

BTW--where do I post pics of a hula girl? She's not naughty--bikini top + grass skirt but she is rather boobalicious.

Kristy

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:33am
post #22 of 53

I'm working on a Bulbasaur cake for my son's girlfriend. I wish I could figure out how to make it more dimensional but I can't think of a thing. It looks like a kid decorated it. My son says that's the style of the artist, but I still wish I could figure it out.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

I need some help! I'm working on a 10" round with pink mff and a 3D cuddly bear on top. The buttercream underneath the mmf is doing something crazy and the darn thing won't set. Consequently, the sides are all mushy and torn. Top is fine. I've already stacked and doweled, so I don't think I can disassemble and re-do, so I need to come up with some serious side camouflage.

Dots and stripes are the only things I can think of. But dots won't give me enough coverage and I don't know how I would cover the tops of the stripes around the bear, since he's already in place.

Can you cut the side off in a strip and then lay a new piece around the cake?
You could do a decorative border where the new piece meets the top.

Kristy

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

if that's the MMF it sounds like you didn't leave the mmf sit after mixing icon_redface.gif i'm not sure...haven't used it in a while.

Is there anyway you can take it off and redo it? It sounds like that would actually be easiest

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #25 of 53

I think I'd try wrapping the side with fondant and leave the current sides on there. Like a tall ribbon, then put a border on the top edge.

kger Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:50am
post #27 of 53

Oh, and the mmf was made yesterday and sat all day. I kneaded in some color around 6pm and applied around 8pm. That should be ok, right?

I used a whipped bc, and it's so gloopy and non-crusting. Next time I'm using ganache under fondant.

step0nmi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:51am
post #28 of 53
Quote:

if you're doing a stacked cake I would definitely say the first one. that way you can take your tier off and have everything coming together in the middle where it won't be seen icon_wink.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:54am
post #29 of 53

Wow, I had no idea how many were so slow this summer. I've been so busy I could hardly breathe. There were weeks when I really could have used an assistant. In fact, my business is growing so fast I'm hoping to quit the day job by next summer and do this full time<G>. I'm so sorry to hear that others here are not feeling some economic growth. :<(

Cat

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:58am
post #30 of 53

hey all!
I've finally got orders! July was scary slow...guess it's going around. Tonight I'm working on 3 medium sized orders, better than nothing. Finished one order, now I need to decorate an 8" with some flowers I made earlier. Not sure how I'm going to place them yet. It's a square.

kger-how much of a layer of bc are you using? my experience with the whipped is-I wouldn't want it under fondant. too "fluffy" not enough "muscle" (if bc could have muscle!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%