Filling Necessary Between Layers? And Nutella Under Mmf?

Decorating By Salma Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 2:39am by catlharper

Salma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Salma Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 3

Hi. I'm carving a 3D Lightning McQueen cake. When I went to buy cocoa for the filling and frosting, I discoverd all stores are out of good brands. Since chocolately goodness is essential for the would-be-eaters, i tried the only available cocoa, and goodness, the resulting buttercream was VILE. I could not bring myself to put in anywhere on the cake. Now I have two questions:

1. This sounds duh, but is it essential to put buttercream/ ganache etc between layers? They are in the freezer now, stacked in car shape, and may be it's because the cake was fresh and moist, but they were sort of sticking to each other anyway. Will this stickiness disappear once they're frozen? More importantly, is the glue necessary?

2. Can i use Nutella as filling and frosting under marhsmallow fondant? Along with the advantages of pre-made and delish, I was thinking it might not melt like buttecream in the high humidity here, since it's in nice spreadable consistency in the jar.

Thanks!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 3

I just used Nutella mixed with Indydebi's buttercream last weekend. I used it as a filling between the layers. The frosting was softer and greasier than normal, and seemed to sink into the cake. It tasted good, but I was glad that I didn't have it directly under fondant, because it seemed like the grease would have seeped into the fondant.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 3

I think as a filling, with a proper BC dam, it would work great. As I don't know how the nuts/oils would effect the MMF I think I'd test it out first to see how it reacts with that before I'd cover a whole cake in it. My other concern is that it can be overpowering in flavor and if you had it as filling AND as your crumbcoat it may be all you taste when you bite into the cake.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%