Making Different Fonts Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By cakeRocket Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 5:30am by cakeRocket

cakeRocket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeRocket Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so i have a few cutters that i can use for fondant to make signs and such but i need to make some new fonts. Any ideas on how i can transfer from paper to fondant? I usually find the font i want on dafont.com then print and cut each individual letter with knife, this is so time consuming. Any ideas on how to maybe make this somewhat easier?

Any suggestions would be great!

6 replies
MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 7
xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 7

Cricut cake

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 7

I second the Cricut Cake vote. If I use it for nothing else, it will revolutionize my ability to apply writing to cakes. So far, I've done some large single letters - monograms of sorts. And a couple of logos. It is wonderful to be able to use the specific fonts needed. It can cut any font you have on your computer. Truth in promoting, however...you can't do that without some additional software. I use Sure Cuts a Lot. About $60. It's sooooo worth it.

If you don't want to invest in that, I'd think about printing the fonts in the appropriate size onto some transparency sheets and then cutting those out with an Xacto knife - making some stencils out of them. You could use those for templates for cutting letters. It probably wouldn't be as tidy as Cricut, but it would sure get the job done!

disney16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disney16 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 7

I got the Cricut for the same reason. I have serious isues and fears about writing on cakes and was starting to turn down cakes that involved any kind of writing.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 7

I am not a good "cake writer" either and did the same thing (paper to fondant) - ugh, so time consuming!!

So, I started using stencils for my letters (I cannot afford the cake cricut...but it is on my wish list icon_lol.gif ). I have a ton of stuff from my scrapbook room and these stencils came in handy. It's not as quick as actual cutters, but (i) they are pretty cheap, and (ii) it eliminated at least one of the steps (cutting the paper letters).

HTH

cakeRocket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeRocket Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 7

Awesome ideas. I too wish to get the cricut for birthday, christmas, aniversary...any occasion! Haven't tried transperancy paper but will have to next cake.

Thanks everyoneicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%