Who Gets The Flowers For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Kimboni Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm by Kimboni

Kimboni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimboni Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

I have a friend who wants me to do her wedding cake and she wants me to use real rose petals. Do I get them from a local florist and add that to her cake cost? Or should I have whoever she is using to do her wedding flowers supply them and then I would just add them when I deliver the cake?

4 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

If it is real flowers I tell the bride to have the flowers for the cake included in her floral order. If individual petals, see if you can pick them up the day before to wash them thoroughly as you would wash lettuce for a salad. Lay out the petals individually on a paper towel an allow to dry then put them in the refrigerater to keep them fresh until you need to place them on the cake. DO NOT put unwashed petals on your cake the day of the event!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 5

My brides were always responsible for providing their own flowers, silk or real. They just left them on the cake table for me and I applied them when I got there. On the day of (and the day before) the wedding, I'm busy making the cake. I don't have time to run all over town buying flowers that match 'whatever' flower she's getting.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe my post wasn't clear. The bride is resposible for ordering and paying for any flowers. If I don't have time to get the petals to me to prewash them then the bride must get them to me. If they are left the day of the event I still will wash them prior to placing on cake but, it always adds to my delivery time to do so, so I have it in my contract that petals on cakes must be made available to me one day prior to event or an additional fee will be charged to their card on file.

I always bring floral tape and flower picks designed for use in cakes with me if they are using fresh flowers. Silk flowers, like the petals must be brought to me prior to the day of the event.

Kimboni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimboni Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 5

Indydebi that's what I was thinking. I don't have the time. And with my luck they would be the wrong shade or wilted. I have enough to worry about. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%