Disco Dust How I Love Thee...

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm by BlakesCakes

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:05am
post #1 of 21

Just used disco dust for the first time last night on some fondant pieces. Oh my oh my...I am in L-O-V-E! The sparkly glitter girl in me is sooooo excited. The clean freak in me is a little irritated at all the glitter residue, but she will get over it!

Seriously...I tried various other shimmering powders, but nothing comes close to how sparkly this stuff is! My cakes are all definitely getting the "Liberache" touch for awhile icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 21

Read the container that you are using. I haven't seen any disco dust that is edible.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 21

You will get mixed reviews on this one. It is non toxic and I use it on my cakes. The cake boss also uses it in large amounts. I have never had anyone get sick from disco dust but to each their own.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 21

Yes...I have read the varying opinions on using Disco Dust. It is labeled as "non toxic", but to my knowledge has not been approved by the FDA for consumption. I know plenty of people use them directly on cakes, etc. And in small amounts, it probably is fine. I'm using it for decorations that are not going to be eaten (stars on wires). I have a solid coating of this stuff on the stars, so even if I thought it was safe, I would advise against eating it because who would want a mouthful of glitter? But it sure is pretty icon_smile.gif

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #5 of 21

How are you applying your disco dust? I have some fondant letters I want real sparkly. Do you paint the letter with vodka or piping gel first?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:03am
post #6 of 21

I just used it for the first time on my Dorothy slippers for my Grandma's Wizard of Oz cake....I LOVED IT! thumbs_up.gif It was soo much fun to use and was exactly what I was looking for for the ruby slippers. Just wish I had gotten more colors so I could figure out what else to use it on icon_lol.gif

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:12am
post #7 of 21

Where can you find Disco glitter?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 6:31am
post #8 of 21

I'm obsessed with it and have been using (and eating) it for years.The worst you will get is sparkly poop icon_wink.gif! I get mine to stick to fondant using vodka, and sprinkle it directly onto buttercream borders etc.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:01am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

Where can you find Disco glitter?

i get mine on C o u n t ry K i t c hen S w e e t A r t

pvcat2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pvcat2000 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:40am
post #10 of 21

ROFL "Sparkly poop" !!!!

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:53am
post #11 of 21

I love it toooo! I just let gumpaste dry on the wires or whatever for a day then dip them in water spin the wire between my thumb and forefinger to remove the extra water then dip them in the glitter. Most often I put the glitter in a pile on a plate and lat one side of the star on the mound and using a dry paint brush just push the glitter around the sides then turn it over tap off the excess and Bob's your uncle. Stab the wire in a stryro dummy and let dry. Any excess that was on the wire will fall off as there isnt anything to get sticky once the water dries.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 7:56am
post #12 of 21

It was love at first sight for me too! I frost all my cakes with Pastry Pride. I dip the end of a butter knife into the dust and lightly blow it on to the cake. It really adds a pretty sparkle.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:21pm
post #13 of 21

I don't think I have completed a cake since discovering this stuff without it, cookies too. I would think you would have to consume quite a large quantity to worry about it having negative effects. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!

The raccoon in me just can't get enough of it. OOOOOH, sparkly.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 21

I LOVE IT TOO!!! My obsession came after doing a peacock themed wedding cake. It made the whole cake! Sometimes I just pull the containers out and turn it over and over just to watch it shimmer. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyj

I LOVE IT TOO!!! My obsession came after doing a peacock themed wedding cake. It made the whole cake! Sometimes I just pull the containers out and turn it over and over just to watch it shimmer. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

*Laugh* Me too!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyj

I just looked up that cake in your photos... WOW! You did an amazing job!

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 21

icon_biggrin.gif I Love all things sparkly icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 21

And did you know you can use it on chocolate as well? We made jewels from white chocolate that were approx the size of the disco dust container. So just pop them in (upside down of course) and let gravity do the work!! Then when they came out, mounted it on a piece of red fondant just for color, put some gold dragees around the edges and BAM!!! What an eyecatcher - and so dadgum simple.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjane

And did you know you can use it on chocolate as well? We made jewels from white chocolate that were approx the size of the disco dust container. So just pop them in (upside down of course) and let gravity do the work!! Then when they came out, mounted it on a piece of red fondant just for color, put some gold dragees around the edges and BAM!!! What an eyecatcher - and so dadgum simple.

Oh, sweetjane, I would love to see a picture of those!

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:19pm
post #20 of 21

Ok, I'll take one and post it when I get home.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

It was love at first sight for me too! I frost all my cakes with Pastry Pride. I dip the end of a butter knife into the dust and lightly blow it on to the cake. It really adds a pretty sparkle.

Sorry, but to me, putting ground up plastic on something someone will eat is bad enough, but please tell me that you're NOT blowing it onto the cake with YOUR MOUTH icon_eek.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%