What Do You Fill Your Red Velvet With?

Baking By Weimtigress319 Updated 18 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm by ERdocmom

Weimtigress319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weimtigress319 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 11

I am doing red velvet cupcakes for a wedding in a few weeks. They will be topped with a swirl of the stiff cream cheese recipe I found on here... But I want to do a different filling inside.

What do you all suggest?? Is there a cream cheese swiss meringue buttercream icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:48am
post #2 of 11

Why do you want to do a filling for red velvet?

That is not a fair question. I am not a fan of fillings. I have had them in the past and to me it is just a continuation of the frosting and I don't get to taste the cake.

I have not done it, but several people here on CC have told me they put about 3 oz of cream cheese in SMBC last after it is all made. You might want to try that.

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 11

Im fixing to try filling a red velvet with white choc. cream cheese frosting.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 11

I've had good feedback from filling with a ganache buerre. (3 parts ganache to 1 part butter.) I think the chocolate pairs well with red velvet. I also like cinnamon with red velvet (adding a tsp of cinnamon to ermine frosting).

madgab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgab Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 11

Alot of people use the coconut pecan filling(aka German chocolate cake filling)It would pair well with the cream cheese one also.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

Philadelphia ready-made cheesecake filling that is right beside the cream cheese. Soften and pipe it in.

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 11

I've had many requests for a chocolate mousse in the red velvet and they love it.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 11

i make ALOT of red velvet cakes. my fav fillings are cream cheese and white chocolate gnache.
i have not had good responses from using chocolate gnache or a chocolate filling.
white chocolate gnache does give the cake a richer taste, where cream cheese filling is a little taste. IMO
HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 11

you make the smbc, then beat the cream cheese and fold into the smbc.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 11

ok so if I make a SMBC and add cream cheese, will it still take color just like Wilton's buttercream? I've never tried to color my SMBC b4. and can I do a FBCT with SMBC?

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 11

I use candy colors to tint SMBC (due to the high butter content) and it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%