Help Please!!! Mmf Is All Wrong

Decorating By mrscunningham Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm by mrscunningham

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:19am
post #1 of 7

I made two batches of MMF.. One is perfect and the other is messed up.. The bad one won't come all the way together when I need it. Instead, it cracks and has holes like dry clay. I tried adding more marshmallows, more shortening and even some corn syrup that was a tip in another post. If I microwave it, it becomes soft and pliable, but as soon as it starts to cool down, it cracks and feels sandy. icon_sad.gif Please help.. TIA

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:12am
post #2 of 7

More shortening.[/u]

sweethaven09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethaven09 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:41am
post #3 of 7

I agree with sweettreat. Your fondant is to dry. To add moisture knead in some shortening.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 7

What about adding a tsp or so of water then microwave and knead? I've had that happen before and had great success just adding some water. Good luck!

mrscunningham Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 7

I have added so much shortening, that I was starting to worry that was the problem. It is a bright yellow fondant, so I am wondering if the color messed it up.. I will try some water and more shortening. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yes, color can do that.

mrscunningham Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 7

I ended up just throwing the fondant away.. I added so much shortening that every time I kneaded it, shortening would squish out, yet it still had holes. It was disgusting. Made a new batch with less color and worked great. Made the cake without too many hiccups. If you are looking, it is the Sponge Bob cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%