Help! My Fondant Is Bulging- What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Beccaboomay Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm by catlharper

Beccaboomay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beccaboomay Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 8

I made a cake and by the time morning came, the fondant was bulging big time towards the bottom and middle. It was a 8 inch x 4 inch cake that had chocolate gnache filling. I put dirty iced it with buttercream frosting before I put the fondant on so I am not sure why it did that. Any advice or help?

7 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

Did you let the cake settle after you put the filling in? I put weight on top of mine and let them sit for a while before I crumb coat. That will help with the buldge.

Beccaboomay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 8

Do you then refreeze it after it has settled and before your crumb quote?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 8

I put it in the fridge while letting it settle. I fill in the evening, then buttercream and cover in fondant the next day. I also return it to the fridge after covering with fondant, esp. in the summer.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 8

did u cover your cake in fondant while frozen or partially frozen? if so, that may be the problem.

Beccaboomay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you sooooo much...this helps a ton! I am covering it with fondant before it fully thaws. I think that is my problem. Do you think I am making my fondant to thick and to heavy?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

how thick are u applying it?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 8

You never want to cover a cake that is cold. You can chill the BC coating for a few minutes but the cake itself needs to be room temp. This is because your cake will release air/gas as it comes to room temp and have nowhere to go with the fondant coating on it. The air/gas can escape a bc crumbcoat but not the fondant. I also watch my cake fairly closely the first two hours after I cover it in case any bubbles begin to form..you can pop and smooth them easily if you catch them when they start but if you catch them really early you don't have to smooth them, it will settle back into place.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%