Help!!! I Am Making My First Wedding Cake!how Do I Assemble?

Decorating By Beccaboomay Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm by Beccaboomay

Beccaboomay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beccaboomay Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

I have my first order to do a wedding cake. She wants a 3 tier -6'inch, 10 inch and 14 inch. Can someone help me with the best way to assemble a wedding cake so I can be sure it is stable? She wants them stacked right on top of each other.

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:11am
post #2 of 8

I looked at your photos and you have a few stacked tiered cakes in you gallery. Did you not put supports in those? There are several different methods. Wooden dowels, plate/hidden pillar system, boba tea straws, plastic dowels, or cookie pop sticks.

Beccaboomay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 8

I use wood dowels and boba straws.I am just so nervous to make my first wedding cake. Would you suggest using the wilton stack plates and hidden pillars?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

Your "birthday cake for Hilda" is a 3 tier stacked cake. You've done this before. Just because it's called a "wedding" cake doesnt' make it any different.

Beccaboomay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 8

True. But, My hilda cake started sinking though so that is why I am soooooooooo nervous! It seemed like it started smashing itself.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 8

I'm learning how to make stacked cakes, and there are lots of tutorials out there. Try the Wilton website to get you started. Edna of Design Me a Cake has a video on her website that's nice. Sharon Zambito has a great stacking dvd. Wilton has a book called Tiered Cakes which has good basic info.

But really, how can you take an order for a wedding cake if you don't know how to do it?!!

icon_surprised.gif Just sayin'!!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 8

Take a look at this wilton site with multiple types of set ups. I'm sure you'll find it very helpful to pick the type of set up that will work best for you.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/

Beccaboomay Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much Indy~ That is exactlly what I needed. I found what I was looking for.
Cakethingys1961- I kind of appreciate your comment I guess...well the first half. Trust me I can make wedding cakes, I am just looking for the strongest brace system possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%