Need Help With A Flavor Combination Please...

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 1:32am by erincc

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 24

I plan on making Bailey;s cupcakes for a bachelorette party I am attending this weekend.
My original plan was to make chocolate fudge cupcakes (using a doctored mix) and make Bailey's SMBC. I just found out the Bride to be doesn't care for chocolate icon_confused.gif I know right...
Anyway I still want to make Bailey's SMBC as it is one of my fav's but am not sure what a good match up for the cake would be that isn't chocolate. If it helps I really like to use doctored cake mix recipes. TIA!

23 replies
luvbuttercream Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 24

Oh ya and she doesn't like coffee but does like tea not sure if that will help.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 24

What about a white or butter cake with baileys in it?

luvbuttercream Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 24

That may be good. Would it be overload on Bailey's though?? And how would I incorporate it into a recipe??

TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 24

If you are using a doctored mix, just replace some of the water with baileys. You don't to do all of it, but atleast half or a little more.

Another idea would be look at some drinks that use baileys in it and see if there is another flavor that goes well with it that would make a good cupcake.

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/drinks/by_ingredient/b/baileys-irish-cream-171.html

According to this list, there are alot of shots with baileys and amaretto in it, so maybe a almond cake with the baileys icing. Frangelico is hazelnut flavored.

Mailbu would be coconut. Plus the banana and baileys sound interesting to me.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 24

Texas, I think the almond cake with Bailey's sounds really, really good! I might have to try that myself icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 24

You try that one and let me know and maybe I'll try the banana and it and see how it goes. icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 24

Haha, deal!

luvbuttercream Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 24

That sounds good I have a good recipe for Almond pound cake that could work... Thank you Texas you have been very helpful!

TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 24

Glad I could help! icon_smile.gif Let us know how it turns out.

MrsBowtiy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBowtiy Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:36am
post #11 of 24

These all sound yummy I was thinking white chocolate and Baileys but then remembered she doesn't like chocolate (brain fart)....Humm might have to try it myself

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #12 of 24

I saw this a few weeks ago and was considering trying it
http://www.cupcakecentral.com/cupcake-recipes/irish-cream-cupcakes.aspx?id=123

it gives directions for substituting water for Baileys...and a cream cheese bailey's icing...you could use this as a base and modify

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 24

I think it would be yum with a rich butter cake icon_smile.gif

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:02pm
post #14 of 24

White chocolate isn't really chocolate, so that could still be a contender.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #15 of 24

I've used yellow butter cake with Bailey's mousse filling before and really liked it. In fact, I preferred it to chocolate because the chocolate tends to overwhelm the bailey's flavor.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #16 of 24

Thank you all!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:09am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by erincc

I've used yellow butter cake with Bailey's mousse filling before and really liked it. In fact, I preferred it to chocolate because the chocolate tends to overwhelm the bailey's flavor.

I agree. This is a wonderful combo icon_smile.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:52pm
post #18 of 24

erincc wrote

Quote:
Quote:

've used yellow butter cake with Bailey's mousse filling before and really liked it. In fact, I preferred it to chocolate because the chocolate tends to overwhelm the bailey's flavor.

erincc Do you have a recipe for Baileys mousse?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #19 of 24

I recently saw a recipe for Pistachio Cupcake with Bailey's Buttercream. Sounded good to me.

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I recently saw a recipe for Pistachio Cupcake with Bailey's Buttercream. Sounded good to me.

You know where you found that at? That sounds good.

luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #21 of 24

That does sound good I would love that recipe as well.

ilztar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilztar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #22 of 24

For the type of cake, I would use either white, yellow or a white chocolate.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #23 of 24

All those recipies sounds great YUM making me hungry.

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #24 of 24

Sorry- we were out of town for the weekend!!! Here's the recipe, I got it off the wilton forums years ago. It's nummy!

Bailey's Chocolate Mousse

4 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup Bailey's
12 oz. good quality semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate

Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a metal bow (I use my KitchenAid bowl)l. And set it over a pan of simmering water. Whisk the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 160 degrees (use a instant-read or candy thermometer), it should take approx. 5 minutes. Whisk the entire time, being careful not to have scrambled eggs. remove bowl from the pan of simmering water and place on your mixer and beat with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed until it is cool to the touch (on the outside of the bowl) and very thick. This should take approx. 10 minutes. While beating the egg and sugar mixture, melt your chocolate and cool to lukewarm. In a separate bowl, combine the whipping cream and Bailey's together and beat until stiff peaks form. Pour the melted chocolate over the egg and sugar mixture and fold in until blended. Then fold in the whipped cream mixture. I will add a small amount of the cream mixture and blend it in (this will lighten up the mixture a bit) and then fold in the remaining until only streaks of white remain. Place in a bowl, cover with saran wrap and chill till set, overnight. Once set, it can be spread over a cake layer to be used as a filling. Make sure you pipe a dam of your buttercream around the outer edges of the layers to prevent the mousse from being pushed out. This is also excellent served as just a mousse desert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%