Turning Vanilla Into Chocolate?

Baking By cakelady11215 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm by mckaren

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make 1 dz vanilla & 1 dz chocolate cupcakes, with vanilla and chocolate frosting. For the cupcakes AND the frosting, could I just add cocoa powder and/or melted chocolate to the vanilla to make it chocolate - will this work?

I've seen somewhere to add cocoa powder to dry cake mix, is it that important or can I just add it to the batter?

Same for the frosting? Just add cocoa powder?

(and yes, I should know this by now!) icon_smile.gif

THANK YOU!

6 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, that should work. You might have to thin the frosting after adding the cocoa.

cakelady11215 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry to bother, but it worries me a bit that you said "should" (and yes, sometimes I'm a little neurotic!). Have you ever done this before? Do you think it would work for both the cake and the frosting then? Just cocoa powder and no melted chocolate?

If anyone else can offer some free advice, please do!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 7

I had to do this same thing a few months ago, I added cocoa powder and extra oil and it was really good.
I think it was mamawrobin that told me she added melted chocolates to the batter, there is a thread on this somewhere..sorry!

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 7

I would melt the cocoa powder in a little hot water to a paste before you add it to your cake batter and the same with your buttercream.

I always find that if I add it dry (even if I seive it) I find dark specks that haven't mixed in properly.

hth icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 7

thanks klangl, i will try to find the thread.

thanks mckaren, i don't remember what i was making but i've gotten those specks before and now i know why! although it could have been from the food coloring - maybe i'll try the hot water with that too.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

You're welcome! Just don't use too much water or you'll alter the texture of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%