Help Co Worker Wants Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes Where To Start

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 12:21am by cakesbyleila

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

I have a co worker that wants me to make spicy chocolate cupcakes. I plan on using a box mix. I want to do half regular and half spicy. What would you use such as Cayanne and how much do you think I should add? I'm hoping someone has done this before I have no clue where to start.

6 replies
jstoops08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstoops08 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 7

I've never made a spicy chocolate cake but I do remember seeing a recipe for one. It isn't a box mix, but maybe use it as a guide line?

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chipotle_flourless_chocolate_cake/

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 7

I have made that recipe! Wonderful. But, I don't think it would make good cupcakes. Really dense and doesn't rise much.

I would start with your best chocolate cake recipe and add chipotle and cayenne. You're looking for what I call a back door heat (hits after you taste the chocolate.) You don't want anything extremely hot, just enough to know it is there.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

Google it and start looking at recipes. People don't usually use cayenne in cakes. Most recipes I've seen use ancho.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

i just inquired about same thing. On here (CC), under recipes, under Mexican, search "chocolate chili cake". I made a small cake & cupcakes (from the recipe, which uses a box mix). I would next time substitute some or all of the water for brewed coffee and add 1 tsp of vanilla. overall, they were delicious and everybody liked them. the cayenne "bite" hits you after.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 7

you can also use ginger to get that spicy bite.

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 7

I add a tablespoon of chiloplte pepper to my regular chocolate recipe. I've never tried with a box mix but I'm sure it would work. Yummy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%