Help: Cake Contest At The Local Fair

Decorating By Shyanne_Mommy Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm by Elcee

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 2

Okay I want to enter the local cake contest at the fair for the first time and since I would love some advice from people who have done it before hand.

First question what would you consider a Novelty cake?

I was considering doing a wedding cake but the judge on taste d you think I can have one of the layers be a dummy or do all layers have to be cake?

Also, I am not for sure which class to enter Amateur (exhibitor who decorate as a hobby) or Advance Amateur (exhibitors who decorate as a hobby and sometimes sell a cake )

I do sell cakes periodically for family and friends.

Any help would be appreciative since I have to turn in the form by tomorrow.

Thanks

Autumn

1 reply
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 2

I consider a novelty cake as something a bit non traditional and out of the ordinary...maybe carved...but everyone's ideas are different. I entered this in my County Fair as a novelty cake a few weeks ago.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1749780

I don't know about the tasting portion...the only competitions I've entered have been strictly decorating and NOT tasted. I would, however, check specifically that dummies are allowed as I would read that to mean they expect your creation to be completely edible.

Quote:
Quote:

Also, I am not for sure which class to enter Amateur (exhibitor who decorate as a hobby) or Advance Amateur (exhibitors who decorate as a hobby and sometimes sell a cake )

I do sell cakes periodically for family and friends.

Sorry, if you sell cakes, even periodically and just to "family and friends", you are no longer a true hobby decorator and you should enter the appropriate category. 1. It's unfair to the other competitors to bump yourself down to gain an edge (even if that's not what you think you're doing, that's how it will be perceived) and 2. you could get disqualified if someone found out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%