Gluten-Free White Cake

Baking By wilsonar Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm by wilsonar

wilsonar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilsonar Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my dad's wedding cake and his fiance is gluten-free. I have tried several different gluten-free recipes that I have found online, but I've never tried a gluten-free cake recipe before, so I don't know what tastes normal... The recipes I've tried so far are pretty rubbery and I don;t know what I'm missing. I've been using xanthan gum and have tried using all different flours/starches including white/brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch etc..

If anyone has any suggestions or tips for gluten-free recipes I would appreciate the advice!

Thanks so much.

4 replies
jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 5

Betty Crocker makes a decent yellow cake box mix that I modify using the extended box mix recipe here on CC. I am not sure if that would be helpful or not since you were looking for a white cake mix... but thought I would suggest it.
Another good mix is from Gluten Free pantry, but I haven't used that one recently.
any time I've tried gluten free cakes from scratch it hasn't ended well.... though my daughter has an egg allergy too, so removing the eggs and the gluten from cake might be harder than just the gluten.
One cookbook that I have swears by the cake recipes to be just like regular cake, but the box mixes came out about the same time, so I took the easy route, and never really tried them... but Annalise G. Roberts was the auther. here is a link to her cookbook on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572840994/?tag=cakecentral-20
Best of luck!

wilsonar Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for your help. I found this recipe for white cake online and it says it's by Annalise G. Roberts. Do you know if this is an actual recipe from her book?

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/36642-looking-for-tnt-white-cake-recipe/

If not, would you mind providing me with the white cake recipe? I would really appreciate it!

tracicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracicakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 5

It is the cake in her book, except she does not separate the eggs. It is really a good base recipe that I tweaked a bit. I make large batches of my flour blend so you can do the math reduction, but I use...

6 c. brown rice flour
2 c. potato starch(not flour)
2 1/4 c. tapioca flour
3 c. sweet rice flour
3/4 c. cornstarch

This is not a white cake though...it is a yellow cake. Hope that helps you and good luck!

wilsonar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 5

I tried the recipe from the website I attached only substituting buttermilk for the skim milk. It was awesome! I haven't tried a lot of gluten-free cakes, but this one tasted just like the regular flour cakes I'm used too. It had a great texture. Maybe a little on the sweet side, but still delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%