Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste

Decorating By mareg Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 5:03pm by thatslifeca

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm hoping to get some help with it. Its seems like its dry and cracking even before I use it. I just made it a week ago and its not looking good for making my hibiscus flowers. icon_sad.gif Any thing I can add to make it better? I tried crisco and it didn't help too much.

6 replies
thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

I use his gumpaste recipe all the time....could you explain what you did, then maybe we could understand better then just throwing ideas your way that you may have done all ready.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 7

I found that you don't need all the powdered sugar mentioned. To hold some back and only add in until right consistency.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 7

I did do that. I have made it before and this time it seemed like it "hardened" right away. Like too soon. I took a small bit out and colored it. It seemed dry then so I added crisco into the bit and it just didn't "mold" good. It still had cracks when I tried to mold it into a ball.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #5 of 7

I know what you mean.I took a class at his place and had trouble getting the cracks out of the gumpaste that he had made. So i would ask for his help, he would come over and roll the gumpaste really hard in his hand, and just like majic the cracks would disappear. GO FIGURE..icon_smile.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 7

The first time I made it, it was a disaster, dried up clump of yuck. I was told by someone not to dump all the powdered sugar in, to hold some back, and the gum paste was amazing. It is slightly elastic and so easy to roll out. I had taken a class with Sharon Zambito and she brought the gum paste with her. Up until that point I had only used pre made. When I used the stuff she bought, I couldn't believe how amazing it worked and she said it was Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I don't think I could ever go back and use premade again.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 7

This is the recipe I have and never have had problems with it:

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

First I break up the eggs a little, I sieve the sugar and leave out 1 cup, add the rest of the sugar to the mixer slowly,then I turn up the mixer, when it reaches that soft peak stage,I trun down the mixer and start adding the tylose in 1tblsp amounts slowly. When it all comes together I cover my hands in shortening then I clean out the bowl and start adding in or kneading in the rest of the sugar slowly into a ball. I don't ever use all of the sugar left. You should be able to tell when your getting there, it will pinch away from the rest of the ball nice and clean. Then I cover it in swran and put in a ziplock then threw it into the frig for at least 24hrs to mature the paste.
Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%