Should I Start A Cake Business?

Decorating By Saluna Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:27am by indydebi

Saluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saluna Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 13

I was just wondering if my cakes are good enough to start my own business? JUST KIDDING! LOL. I just find it amusing that so many people ask this question and then dont like the responses they get.

I read so many posts like that and then of course look at their cakes and am amazed at how awful some of them are. And further... I cannot believe that people would actually pay $3.00/serving for their cakes. It really amazes me. I mean just because some really good bakers charge $3.00 a serving doesn't mean everyone should.

BTW, I was totally kidding, not starting my own business. Just love doing cakes for family and friends. thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 13

LMAO! icon_lol.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 13

I needed a laugh today! Good One! icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Too funny! Gotta love those threads right????

BTW...I love your 'baby boy' cake....

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 13

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's a good one!

I'm with you...love, love, love baking for family & friends and always do it for free....birthdays, holidays, christenings, first communions, anniversaries, parties. I've just started doing wedding cakes as my kids and their friends are the marrying age, which has opened up a whole new realm of baking & cake decorating. A few people have suggested I should go into business...ha! Then it wouldn't be fun anymore...........especially after hearing the horror stories on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 13

It amazes me the amount of needy people here wanting others to big their cakes up.

If you get nice comments and people save you a faves fantastic......if it doesn't happen.....get over it.....don't whinge, whine and plead for people to love you.

Saluna Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Too funny! Gotta love those threads right????

BTW...I love your 'baby boy' cake....

Thank you!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 13

Its funny how when you first start out you think that our cakes look pretty good. Now I look back and am so embarrassed. And you can't count on your friends giving you a true assessment. I have seen this so many times on fb, people post their cakes and then the friends all start telling them how awesome it is. Telling them you should go into business, they are just being nice. They figure since you posted the cake, you must be really proud, so of course they have to comment. So for me it hard to take a compliment, I just feel like people are being nice. BTW don't think im ready to start a business icon_lol.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 13

Here's why I think people think they are ready to be in business.....I've only been making cakes for less than a year, and I'm not very good YET, but my family and friends have never even considered these kinds of cakes for anything other than a wedding(anything other than a sheet cake is a novelty to them)so as soon as I start making them they're all "You should totally start a business!". Um no. There is no way I'd ever expect someone to pay for what I'm capable of doing now. But I've been here, and I know what real professional cakes are suppose to look like.....and mine ain't it. icon_lol.gif I mean, it's nice that family and friends like what I do, but they know me AND they aren't paying for it. The same family members and friends who are telling me to start a business are the ones who would be pissed if they payed a lot for a cake from someone on the same skill level as me.

I think some people, even when they know what their cakes should look like ignore their gut and go into business because family or friends talked them up. I just told mine that when they were ready to fork over the money for my private commercial kitchen that I need to start a business here, then we'd talk icon_biggrin.gif

Saluna Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 13

I totally agree. I mean family and friends are not going to tell you that the free cake you just made them isn't up to par. Most of my family members have never seen a real cake either. Everyone is so use to Walmart or Costco sheet cakes, so anything is outstanding to them.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #11 of 13

I always want to respond to those threads with "do you know how to run a business?" because truthfully, when it comes down to it, ya you have to have skill so you have something to sell. But you first have to have business sense so you knwo how to stay in business. (umm pricing!!!, another all time favorite thread, expecially when they say they started a business a few months ago and now need to know if they're charging enough)

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #12 of 13

That really had me laughing, thank you! Ha ha!! I cringe at some of my first cakes too, and then I see others & wonder how I did that without the proper support - etc!! I really loved how you started that off. =)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I always want to respond to those threads with "do you know how to run a business?"

Bingo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%