How To Create Scalloped Fondant Edge

Decorating By stephilde Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm by Rusti

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 6

I really want to make a cake using this technique. as first glance it seems easy, but the more i think of how I am going to do it the harder it seems. So before I start i was hoping to get some tips. What is the best way to accomplish this look? I assume you cut the edge before you lay the fondant but how do you lay it and smooth it without distorting it? thanks!!!http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1720300
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1655929

5 replies
CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 6

I would use a cake board circle as a template a piece of poster board and free hand the scallop a few inches bigger (+ or -) than the cake board. Cut it out and use that as a template on the fondant.

Someone else may have a better way.

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 6

I too am curious, can't wait to get some tips! icon_smile.gif

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 6

In that instance, I think she covered the cake in green, then laid the white on top of that (already cut with scallops), and then put the "rope" to cover the seams. As far as how to lay it on, maybe you could have the white on a cake circle and then just flip onto the top?? IDK - Good luck!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with CWIL. Laying it should be easy, especially if you used powered sugar or cornstarch to roll fondant. If the back of fondant is not sticky it should be easy to move around until you have in correct postion. To make it stick just brush the underside of fondant with a light coat of water. If you roll fondant thicker it will help not distort the shape because fondant won't be as stretchy. Thin stretches more. The rolled trim was added afterwards. You wouldn't have to have trim on edges if you dont want. Just make sure when you are cutting fondant edge that it is a smooth cut.

~Kim

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 6

An easy way to get that kind of edge is to use scrapbook cutters (that have never been used for anything but food). They come in a variety of different edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%