Gritty Buttercream

Baking By GeorgieP Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm by JanessaJo

GeorgieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgieP Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:42am
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone!

I've tried a few buttercream recipes from here on CC, shortening based as well as half butter and half shortening. They turn out very gritty and have a strong powdered sugar taste. The half butter half shortening recipe did taste somewhat better.

My question is...in order to get rid of the grittiness do I need to mix it for a VERY long time? I've heard overmixing causes air bubbles. And will mixing for a long time also help with the powdered sugar taste?

Thanks for your help! Happy Tuesday!

Georgie P

15 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:04am
post #2 of 16

Hi Georgie,
What recipe are you using? I use Indydebi's and I love it! Thanks to Mamawrobin I mix the crisco for 15 minutes before adding anything else. Then I add the dream whip to the half & half and warm it for about 30 seconds in the microwave before adding it. I then mix it for a while, but I make it a day pr so ahead of time, so the air bubbles have time to settle. When you go to use it, just use a spoon and give it a few good turns and it is perfect!! icon_biggrin.gif

GeorgieP Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:26am
post #3 of 16

Hello again!

I tried Indydebi's (which is what everyone raves about so I MUST be doing something wrong) and Buttercream Dream.

I really want to use a shortening based buttercream like Indydebi's because the ones with real butter seem to be soft and I hear they melt easily.

So...what can I do to perfect this recipe? icon_smile.gif I'm definitely going to try warming the dream whip and milk/half and half.

How long should it be mixed for once you add the powdered sugar? Thanks!

GP

GeorgieP Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #4 of 16

OK...how long should I mix the buttercream after adding the powdered sugar? How long does everyone mix theirs for???

Karen421 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #5 of 16

I mix mine for a little while, I don't normally time it, but maybe 5 minutes. Then I put it in an air tight container and in the fridge until I need it. Usually within a day or two.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 16

i cream the shortening (high ratio shortening by Alpine) all my itself for a few minutes, it'll look really creamy and real white. then i add my flavor and water mix that for another few minutes. I only use the paddle attachment. then add the powder sugar, before you add the powder sugar make sure you sift and then measure your cups.... this help break down all the grittyness of the sugar... OH and for the temp of the water, I use warm water. HTH! Happy Mixing & Bakin! icon_smile.gif

SANDY

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 16

I try to use Mamawrobin's suggestions for Indydebi's recipe...

Put the crisco in the mixer and set it going for at least 15 minutes, till it looks like sour cream.

While this is going on, I warm whatever liquid I am using(about half of what the recipe calls for) and add the Dream Whip to it to allow it to dissolve.

Then I add about half of the powdered sugar and mix it on low to get it mixed in (helps prevent a cloud), then I add the liquid, mix some more, add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix again, then if it is not too thick I run the mixer for at least another 15 minutes. If it is just too thick I add a teaspoon at a time of the liquid.

I always make this at least a day ahead, and don't generally put it in the fridge. A gentle stir prior to use is all that is needed.

As to the powdered sugar taste, have you tried different brands? Powdered sugar has an additive that keeps it from caking, usually corn starch and that is likely the taste you are encountering. Different brands use more or less of this, and some brands use different things to prevent the caking and give a different flavor. (Trader Joe's for example uses tapioca starch) .

good luck

GeorgieP Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks to everyone who responded~ I REALLY appreciate your help.

Now I'm off to play with the buttercream! icon_biggrin.gif

Georgie P

JanessaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanessaJo Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 16

Hey Georgie, have you made the buttercreme yet? I have had problems with Indy's recipe being very grainy too but haven't tried the dissolving the Dream Whip. So I was just wondering what results you get by trying that. I have 2 cakes to make next weekend and dont want to risk them looking horrible b/c the frosting looks like sugar was sprinkled on top =)

JanessaJo Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 16

Hey Georgie, have you made the buttercreme yet? I have had problems with Indy's recipe being very grainy too but haven't tried the dissolving the Dream Whip. So I was just wondering what results you get by trying that. I have 2 cakes to make next weekend and dont want to risk them looking horrible b/c the frosting looks like sugar was sprinkled on top =)

GeorgieP Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 16

Hi JanessaJo!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I made it using the suggestions given. It came out WAY BETTER! I mixed it for the 15 minutes (just Crisco) and then once everything was in I mixed it again for another 15 minutes. There is still a little bit of grittiness but not nearly as much as I was experiencing before. I also changed powdered sugar brands and it got rid of the strong powdered sugar taste. Hope that helps.

Thanks again to all people who responded! You guys ROCK! icon_lol.gif

GeorgieP

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 16

i have only been able to get mine to come out less gritty using all these steps. It seems no amount of beating with the paddle will take out all the grittiness. Yes, I know there are several on this forum who "love, love, love it!!", but I am only thrilled with its ability to stand up to heat and not the texture.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 16

Sorry to post off topic, but am I the only one whose home page hasn't updated in 2 days?

JanessaJo Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #14 of 16

GeorgieP

I'm glad it worked out better for you! i hope it works better for me too and the frosting actually looks smooth and not like sand.

wish me luck cause im nervous. this frosting looks really dry if you make it too far in advance, but i want to have time to redo it if it looks like crud =/

Karen421 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:04am
post #15 of 16

I always make mine ahead of time, and just use a big spoon to re-mix before I use it. I have only had a problem once, before I dissolved the dream whip in the half & half, then warmed it. I guess I am just one of those that love this recipe!

JanessaJo Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 16

Karen, dissolving the dream whip is the only trick i haven't tried yet, so i'm thinking that is gonna solve my problem! i do love the taste, that's why i want to make it work =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%