Beginner With Fondant And Gum Paste!

Decorating By bakingmomma10 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm by bakingmomma10

bakingmomma10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmomma10 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:20am
post #1 of 3

hello bakers,
I'm so in love with this site, I had no idea there was such a site! I'm glade I stumbled upon it! Anywyas, so I'm a virgin at using fondant and gum paste! A few questions I haven't been able to get the answers for are: is gum paste dible? How long does gum paste last if stored properly? How long does fondant last if stored properly? Should I cover the cake with fondant the day of or can I do it the day before? If I can cover the day before how do I store the covered cake? Thank you all so much, I have found my kind of group finally with this site!
keep on baking and make it fun!

2 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:31am
post #2 of 3

Yes gumpaste is edible but it dries extremely hard so I don't think you would want to eat it. Gumpaste should last for some time as long as you keep the bag sealed so that it doesn't dry up. Homemade fondant last about one month. Fondarific lasts six months stored in your pantry one year frozen. If you are using fillings that don't need refrigeration then you can store your cake in a cake box or covered cake stand on the counter. I store my cakes in the fridge but I don't live in an area with high humidity. Some people complain about condensation on the fondant when placing the cake in the fridge but I have never had that problem. I usually try to decorate the day before delivery is I can. Fondant acts as a barrier so it holds in the moisture so it's ok to decorate ahead of time. Hope I answered all of your questions.

bakingmomma10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmomma10 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 3

thank you so much!! Yes you answered all of my questions perfectly!! Now ii van start decorating!! =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%