Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By TSmith Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm by TSmith

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 8

someone wants me to make a red velvet cake for them. does anyone know a good recipe. also does it taste good with buttercream icing?

7 replies
RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 8

It depends what you're looking for. If you want a heavier, denser cake then definately use Cakeman Raven's recipe. If you want light & fluffy then Bakerella has a great recipe. I've never done RV with buttercream but if you don't like cream cheese try the cooked frosting. A lot of people have reccommended it. HTH.

Sheila

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 8

When I do red velvet, I use the WASC recipe and just manipulate it to make it red velvet. I did have someone ask me before to do BC with RV and I did ... they loved it but I still prefer cream cheese!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 8

I like the traditional icing the best. The Mary Kay Icing recipe here on cc is very good. Paula Dean has a really good Red Velvet Cake recipe on her website.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 8

I made Cakeman Raven's recipe earlier this year and it was great. I used a traditional cream cheese icing, the kind that doesn't really setup, and I personally don't like. I find it too sweet and "tangy" (not sure that's really the right word) because of the cream cheese. I made cupcake this weekend with the same type of icing (and just confirmed I'm really not a fan). When I posted her to ask something about it, someone (sorry don't remember who it was) explained that there are two kinds. One that doesn't set up (like mine) which is more cream cheese than butter/shortening, and the other that is more like a buttercream where some butter has been substituted with cream cheese.

She then gave me a link to Earline's which is the latter version of the icing...you may want something like that.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:13am
post #6 of 8

This is what I use for red velvet cakes. Can be smoothed with the paper towel method. Kathyfs Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

If you use clear vanilla in both the color will be a perfect match for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-comicon_surprised.gifffice:smarttags" />Wilton's buttercream recipe. I use this to frost cheesecakes
when a couple wants part regular cake and part cheesecake for the tiers.

This makes a fairly stiff icing. For a softer one you can use 3 lbs. of powdered sugar.

SOUTHERNCAKEQUEEN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOUTHERNCAKEQUEEN Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 8

8 oz cream cheese and 1/2 stick butter
16 oz cream cheese and 1 stick butter

cut the butter....I never use shortening..

8oz cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP water/milk

cream butter and cream cheese. add vanilla and milk/water. add sugar.
you may need to add a little more water to thin out but only add 1 tsp at a time.

I use 1.5 recipe for a 3 layer 8" rnd

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 8

thank-you all. see she wants the buttercream icing and i would hate to make cream cheese cause the cake is so big i couldnt put it in the fridge..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%