Cannot Stop Laughing...

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 31

You all check out the e-mail I got today from an acquatanance. I cannot stop laughing long enough to come up with properly frazed POLITE response. Any ideas?

I'm having his party at Brantley farms and I'm doing a John deere theme with a little bit farm animals thrown in there. If you're able to do it, I'm thinkin some kind of tractor..maybe a cow with... it?? not really sure..but I thought I could see what ideas you have and what you're able to do. I'm thinkin it would need to feed between 50-70 ppl. And I wanna keep the price under $40 if possible.

30 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 31

Cake muggles. Always entertaining.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 31

And I'm thinkin that's like 50 cents a person... icon_confused.gif Honestly!! Even Happy Meals cost more than that!! icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 31

Sounds like she missed a zero!!!!! ha.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 31

"Sounds like a fun party theme! My prices start at $x.xx per person, so I'm not sure I'd be the best fit for your budget. The best I could do is an 13x9 sheet cake in buttercream for ($125) to serve 50 and you'd be able to place some animal toys on top for the birthday boy to keep and play with later. You may like to check out pricing at (grocery store) if this is still out of budget. Wishing (Billy) a happy birthday!

-Me"

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 31

You probably can't even buy a plastic tractor and farm animal set for $40, let alone edible ones!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 31

Yeah, that was a real burst-out-loud-laughing moment at this end! icon_lol.gif

Things you'd like to say:

"Um, what part of your body did you pull THAT price out of?" icon_confused.gif

Lorraine25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorraine25 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 31

Thank you for contacting me regarding your order, I make your special day a very special one with attention to detail in every cake taking time till it excedes your expectations you are more than welcome to stop by for a tasting and talk over the design of the cake please contact me @ 111111111 to make an appointment icon_wink.gif
* We required 50% downpayment on ALL orders Thank you your bussines is appreciated icon_wink.gif

when she get there show her your price list base price 3.00 a piece or whatever you charge, here are some templates, they have some good ones you can copy icon_wink.gif Good luck icon_wink.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1628609

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 31

I like Kitagrl's comment, and you can use that in your response. You could say something to the effect of, I got your email, and it sounds like a great cake, but I'm sure you realize you had a typo in the price because I know you realize this cake, with this detail and work, would cost $400.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 31

My beautician emailed me about doing her soon to be 16 year old daughter's birthday cake. Three tiers, fondant covered, and fondant accents. I quoted her 44 servings-8, 6 and 4 inch: a little over $130.00 and told her to let me know by tomorrow, Tuesday. Silence! But, she doesn't mind to charge me $+++++ dollars to cut my hair!
This cake would take part of 3 days to do. Go figure!

Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 31

My options were:

How about I pay YOU $40.00 to save myself some time and give you a fighting chance on getting a cake to feed that many?

Twinkies should fit in that budget nicely and kids looooooooooooove them

I believe even Publix charges $49.99 for their sheetcakes

and my mind went from there...
Thank you all for suggestions, my husband said I should sleep on it to make sure my response is proper and ...hopefully I will not be laughing by then icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 31

I guess she didnt mention she was thinking of her making the cake and spending $40 in the materials icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 31

Thanks for the belly laugh!! I've been needing one lol!!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 31

Thats is LOL moment. Don't feel bad thu,,,,,,at least you didn't laugh right in her face like I did not to long ago. Customer showed me a cake (very similar to Edna's gold cake) and the mother of the bride thought it was going to get done for less then 300bucks icon_eek.gif . I started laughing and I couldn't stop.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 31

People never cease to amaze me. icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #16 of 31

My mind is just going wild with the cake muggles right now, but what really gets me is how they say these things with a STRAIGHT face!! icon_lol.gif

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 31

this sounds so much like an email i received recently..

the lady was wanting a cake for her 1 yr old daughter.. here are the requirements she listed:

-needed it 3 days from date email was sent
-full body 3D Elmo all made of cake sitting on a sheet cake with another cake sitting in front of Elmo carved to look like a sand castle.
-icing that is not too sweet, but please no cream cheese.
-needs to feed between 20 and 30 people
-can you deliver it to atlanta (50 minutes away from me)

"thanks so much. hope to hear from you soon"

"p.s. I would like to keep this under $60."

made me laugh out loud for a good minute... icon_biggrin.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 31

Oh Xk,
your request beats mine icon_lol.gif How did you respond?

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfayex

-can you deliver it to atlanta (50 minutes away from me)

"p.s. I would like to keep this under $60."

Heck my delivery fee alone would be more than this! icon_lol.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #20 of 31

dunce.gificon_lol.gif nothing like a good laugh icon_lol.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:13am
post #21 of 31

oh my...... icon_lol.gif

thesweetlifestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetlifestore Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:24am
post #22 of 31

that happens to me all the time here in El Pasoicon_smile.gif I recieved a email asking if I could do a 3tierd cake covered in fondant red and white RED SOXS themed with a baseball cap and glove IN 3 DAYS another lady canceled on her at the last minute oh and the other baker was gona charge her $45 LOL LOL LOL I EMAILED HER BACK AFTER I GOT OFF THE FLOOR AND CALLED ALL MY FRIENDS LOL LOL LOL !!!!! I explained to her that 3 days was short notice that I have a rush fee. I then explained to her that I would love to do the cake for her but MY cakes start at $150.00 she never replied back lol I ALSO HAVE CLIENTS THAT AFTER I TELL THEM HOW MUCH i Charge THEY LOL AND TELL ME HOW HARD CAN IT BE!!!!and if i think they could make it!!!!!

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:25am
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlifestore

.....THEY LOL AND TELL ME HOW HARD CAN IT BE!!!!and if i think they could make it!!!!!

"Walmart ..... aisle 8 .... knock yourself out!" icon_biggrin.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #24 of 31

The other day someone asked if they could bake the cake and have me decorate it. It was a face to face question and I was so startled that I said "no one has ever asked me that I'll have to think about it." When I started think about it I really got a little outraged. Why should I attach my decorating skills to a cake that someone else baked, not to mention would it even be possible to get the cake iced? I take special care to bake in good pans, treat the pans and the cake so that the cake comes out in one piece without lots of crumbs, and bake a cake that can be torted and filled nicely. Why would anyone even suggest this? Later I found out that the potential customer's mother used to bake and she wanted a "thick" moist cake. I'm not sure what she means by thick but whatever, she caught me a couple days later and said she realized that it was crazy to suggest baking her own cake.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:20am
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlifestore

.....THEY LOL AND TELL ME HOW HARD CAN IT BE!!!!and if i think they could make it!!!!!

"Walmart ..... aisle 8 .... knock yourself out!" icon_biggrin.gif

icon_eek.gif LMAO.....omg thats a good one. OK you got the tears rolling now.
It's these types of posts that I love most on CC. Now I don't feel so alone!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #26 of 31

I needed a good laugh!!! thanks, Ladies!!! ~~~~~

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:35am
post #27 of 31

you know at first it makes you laugh out loud then you have this reaction like 'what the heck'!!! isn;t it time we started to educate these people, how can we do that?? Perhaps someone should set up a blog about cake prices or something. Its time these cake muggles got educated...

Fleur_de_Lis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fleur_de_Lis Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:12am
post #28 of 31

[quote="sweetcakes"]you know at first it makes you laugh out loud then you have this reaction like 'what the heck'!!! isn;t it time we started to educate these people, how can we do that?? Perhaps someone should set up a blog about cake prices or something. Its time these cake muggles got educated...[/quote]

That is why I like the new show Fantastic Cakes that gives prices. All others should follow that model. thumbs_up.gif

This thread was such a funny read. Lots of cake muggles in Mobile, AL

momomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momomom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:32am
post #29 of 31

I had to read this one to dh b/c I was belly laughing - thanks! and Ditto about educating people - I had a friend say she thought I shouldn't start a business b/c I could never compete with Costco - and that if I did do it, I should never charge more than $40 for a cake because that'd be outrageous. icon_cry.gif Will they ever understand?

indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:40am
post #30 of 31

Is it just me, or does anyone else on here ever notice that the ones giving us business advice are the ones NOT running a business? icon_confused.gif

"Those who say it cannot be done, should stop interrupting those of us who are doing it."

(attributed to many, including Ancient Chinese Proverb and Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%