Huge Order!!

Business By officialamysue Updated 12 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm by mommachris

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:51pm
post #31 of 34

I'm from Iowa too! (davenport) and agree that your prices are already low. but i understand your concern! i always feel like i'm charging too much! but you just have to stick to your guns and believe that your product is wayyy better than any cheapo store out there! best of luck!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #32 of 34

I just cannot imagine making 250 cupcakes, icing, decorating, boxing, plus 400 cheesecake lollipops (which sound fantastic, btw!!!) baking all of those cheesecakes, rolling, freezing, dipping... .... then delivering all of that somewhere for $675. How many cheesecake pops do you get out of one cheesecake?

Seriously, don't discount, at all. And while you're doing this order, calculate every penny of ingredients you are putting into it, and time yourself.

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 11:13am
post #33 of 34

I understand how a lot of items are discounted when made large orders, but these are either non edible items or items made in a factory or by a large team of people. I get that qyestion all the time "but im ordering 300 not 30 I should get a discount."Im a home baker and work alone, and do mostly cake pops. I went with it in the beginning but then after DAYS of back breaking work changed that. No discounts. To make 30 pops would take me a few hours, to make 300 would take me days. I kindly explain that each pop is hand dipped, hand decorated, hand packaged, and that large orders like that take days of work, and at times I debate to myself charging a "massive order fee"! I'm kidding about the fee, but I definately do not discount for large orders. I dont want to be crying over my cake pops with the mantra " I will never do this work for so little money" ever again! When my feet are aching, hands are sore, back is killing me, I want to at least tell myself the money was worth it. If they choose to go elsewhere,fine.

Although, in certian conditions, ie, I REALLY was in a financial bind and needed the money badly, I might offer a slight discount.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:54pm
post #34 of 34

I just did 135 cup cakes ( baked them the same day =5 hours or work!) and I'm telling you while I was in the kitchen working on that I became aware that I was not available to do the other things in my house that needed to be done for the party we were throwing. Fortunately I have a cleaning crew at my house..my children are trained well. icon_lol.gif

My reason for bringing this up is that a large order means that you are not able to work on other cakes/pops so why would you do it for less money?
Seems like you'd be defeating the purpose of your time spent in the kitchen. I'd never give a discount unless it was regular customer ( I mean weekly) who was consistently putting money in my till. icon_smile.gif

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%