The Dishwasher Discolored My Pans - Are They Still Ok?

Decorating By tsal Updated 20 Jun 2017 , 11:02am by hotubcake

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 22

Hi,

my mom was trying to help but put my aluminum Wilton pans in the dishwasher (I always hand wash them), and they are really discolored.

Are they still ok to use or are they ruined?

21 replies
Michelle_in_WI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle_in_WI Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 22

My husband did the same to mine, and they still work just fine. icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 22

Yes they will be ok but don't let them near that dishwasher again. The only thing you might find is the cake will stick a little more than before when you try and get it out so make sure the pan is well greased.

HTH

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 22

ditto. My husband also did this to one of my pans. It doesn't look as pretty as it used to, but I haven't had any trouble with it otherwise.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 22

I always stick mine in the dishwasher. I hate to do hand dishes icon_wink.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

I always stick mine in the dishwasher. I hate to do hand dishes icon_wink.gif

ditto, and ditto. Just don't EVER put your Kitchenaid beaters in the dishwasher...they WILL discolor you icing.

Mae1118 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 22

I didn't know that about the beaters discoloring the icing. I always hand-wash mine, but just out of curiosity, what color does it turn the icing? Do you mean just the coated paddle attachment or the whisk attachment, too (I have put this one in the dishwasher, although I have not noticed any problems with it)

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 22

The metal ones will turn your icing gray. You can wash it off if it ever happens. I think you can use "Barkeeper's Friend" on them too. I forget what they call it, it is something to do with oxidation, I think.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 22

And the white coated beaters will eventually break down (the coating will bubble and crack)

Were these pans new? I could swear that I have put older pans in the dishwasher without a problem. My new ones did discolor.

tsal Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 22

Everyone in the house knows that the Kitchenaid mixer and attachments stay out of the dishwasher under penalty of death. I usually don't let my mom touch any of my stuff because she doesn't cook or bake and doesn't understand how to keep stuff in good condition. I left to pick up my kids and came back and she had used an SOS pad on one pan (that's a goner - I don't even know why I have SOS pads in the house since I never use them), and she put my other pan in the dishwasher.

She means well, but ugh!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 22

I've found that an SOS (steel wool) pad will bring back a little of the shine...better than nothing...but they do still work.

tsal Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 22

But then aren't they all scratched up? Is there a finish on the pans?0

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

But then aren't they all scratched up? Is there a finish on the pans?0

They do get like the steel wool lines in them but if they have that really dull tarnished look, I prefer the shiny lines to the dull tarnish.

tsal Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #14 of 22

Agreed! I was just concerned that I would ruin them. I'm happy to know that they are salvageable!! icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #15 of 22

you can use lemon juice and baking soda to help them..

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 22

The Wilton pans are anodized aluminum. I don't think that is a coating so much as a way of processing the metal, kind of like tempering glass. Scrubbing does not remove any kind of finish.

Mae1118 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

And the white coated beaters will eventually break down (the coating will bubble and crack)

Yes! My step-mom puts hers in the dishwasher all the time, and I think she has had to replace it a couple of times now.

Quote:
Quote:

Everyone in the house knows that the Kitchenaid mixer and attachments stay out of the dishwasher under penalty of death.

I know! I am kind of a control-freak in my kitchen. It drives me crazy when family members come over and try to help clean up things. I know that they mean well, so I hate to complain, but it does make me itch!

tsal Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:44pm
post #18 of 22

Really late thank you to everyone! I've had no computer the past while!!!

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 22

Huh(?) I've always put my KA beaters in the dishwasher and haven't had any problems. I'm trying to figure out why there would be a different outcome between washing in the sink and the dishwasher. I mean they both use hot water and soap..'cept the dishwasher may be heated, but optional(?)

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 22

I stick both pans and my KA attachments in the dishwasher. Never a problem. icon_smile.gif

I also assumed it was the high heat that turned the pans.

A_T00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A_T00 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 5:14am
post #21 of 22

I put my aluminum pan into dishwasher quite a bit. It blackens like you mentioned.

If you want to re-shine it again, here is a video w/ instruction on how to re-shine using an oven, cream of tartar, and a roasting pan. No scrubbing needed.

hotubcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotubcake Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:02am
post #22 of 22

I know this old but I have put all of my Kitchenaid parts in the dishwasher for at least 20 years.

Same parts, same mixer.  And all my pans.  Do not hand wash lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%