How Many Cupcakes?

Baking By maude Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm by maude

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 7

I have a request for cupcakes for a wedding. The bride wants one 8" decorated cake and the the rest cupcake tower. Do you condsider one cupcake a serving?. She only wants to serve 50 guests so I want to make sure about the quantity. Also have never done cupcakes before so any advise on what to charge for this ensemble would be greatly appreciated. TIA

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 7

I include a 6" round for the top of the cake stand if they want a cutting cake. Frankly it's what fits the stand AND it's plenty of cake.
Then as for cupcakes, I always advise to order 125% of the RSVP "yessses."

http://sweetlouisville.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/sweet-news-wedding-cupcakes/

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 7

And I think that if you have more than one flavor of cupcakes, you might need to make even more because people might want to taste each flavor. I made 12 different flavors for our kids' graduation party, and one relative ate nine cupcakes because he wanted to taste all of the flavors that he thought he would like out of the 12 flavors I made. But it was a casual event, and he loves cupcakes!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

I figure 1.5 cupcakes per person. I just did cupcakes this past weekend for a party and personally observed one guest taking no less than 4 cupcakes at one time. Granted, there were a number of different flavors to choose, but cupcakes are that kind of thing that people feel free to have more than one!

cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely average between 1.25 and 1.50 per guest and round up to the nearest dozen, if they're planning on multiple flavors.

kaseysweetkissbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseysweetkissbakery Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

I tell people to plan anywhere from 1.5 to 1.75 per guest

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the responses. I now know how to advise the bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%