Just Starting Out - Name Help Please!

Business By vwolf Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm by vwolf

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 7

I have been baking cakes since I was a kid, a few years ago I took the wilton cake decorating classes. I fell in love with cake decorating. Since then I have been doing cakes for my extended family and friends. I also did both my daughter and my sons wedding cakes. Anyhow I have contacted the Ohio Dept of Agri. to see what I need to do to be a legal home bakery and am working on getting that done. I found a name that I like but I don't know how to complete it....It's CuppyCakes, I don't know if I should call it a bakery or cakery of Bake Shoppe or how to finish it, anyhow I bought the domain name cuppycakesonline.com I am going to do custom cakes and cupcakes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 7

FYI, someone in Ohio registered "Cuppiecakes Bakery LLC" about a month ago -- that might be an issue, especially if they are in the same county. You can see the business registration info at the link below (do a soundex search for "cuppycakes").

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/portal/PORTAL_BS.BS_QRY_BUS_INFORMATION1.SHOW_PARMS

vwolf Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I did a search there before, but not the soundex, didn't know what that was, anyhow they are in a different area. I guess Cuppycakes Bakery is out, but I am thinking Cuppycakes Cakery or Cuppycakes Bake Shoppe. Any thoughts?

vwolf Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

I went back to the Ohio S.O.S. website, I think if the spelling is different , which it is, it may be acceptable. Anyhow, should you set up an LLC? I am just doing home baking. It will only be part time, since I work a 40hr a week job. If you do set up an LLC, do you have to file tax paperwork quarterly?

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

I like the "bake shoppe" idea but that's just me. It sounds so posh icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwolf

I went back to the Ohio S.O.S. website, I think if the spelling is different , which it is, it may be acceptable. Anyhow, should you set up an LLC? I am just doing home baking. It will only be part time, since I work a 40hr a week job. If you do set up an LLC, do you have to file tax paperwork quarterly?

You must make estimated quarterly payments for any income you receive from running your own business (even just a sole prop), since unlike a regular paycheck there is no withholding. Note that this includes "illegal" income such as accepting money for cakes baked in an unlicensed kitchen, so you may already potentially owe back taxes (if you accepted any money).

Of course, if you estimate that you will have no income tax liability or you currently over-withhold your personal income (i.e. you get a refund every year) you may not need to make quarterly payments.

More info on how sole props and LLCs are taxed:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30292.html
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29675.html

I highly recommended setting up an LLC as well as liability insurance, even if you are only doing it part-time. It only take a single food poisoning lawsuit to wipe out your personal assets if they are not shielded.

vwolf Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks jasonkraft, I appreciate your help and the links, I will check them out. Also I kinda like the Bake Shoppe at the end of the name too. Again thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%