Anyone Tried Facebook Ads?

Business By snocilla Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 4:08am by Kaylani

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 13

On my Facebook page, there is a button for "Promote your Page". My understanding is that you can make a small ad to show up only for people in your area with other specifics (ie people with a relationship status of 'Engaged'). I also understand that you pay a base price, plus a small amount for each person who clicks on your ad. It does seem like it would be a good way to reach your target audience, but I never even pay attention to those little ads. Has anyone else tried them and had success with them? Or bad experiences? Thanks!

12 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 13

I was wondering the same thing. I was just looking at the faq page and couldn't make sense of it all. I was not willing to give them my credit card info when the info was so vague. Facebook has too many sketchy links and applications for me to trust it. icon_confused.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't used them, but they are legit and provide some interesting options for targeting. Here's a few guides to FB advertising:

http://subliminalpixels.com/facebook/how-to-set-up-and-track-facebook-ads/
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-rules-for-advertising-on-facebook-2009-7

snocilla Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:45am
post #4 of 13

Thank you both! this helps!

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:24am
post #5 of 13

My husband uses facebook ads, I would definitely recommend them, you decide what city's and how you would want to target for example females over 18. the payment is good too you decide a daily budget that you don't want to go over and then you decide how much you are willing to pay per click. you can also choose specific days to run your add. It shows you exactly how may times your add was displayed and then how many people clicked on it.
It is good controlled way to advertise. thats my two cents : )

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 13

I work with a group as a wedding show promoter and yes we use Fb ads. It's pay per clink - no base fee at all. You can also embed tracking links into your landing page to see how many people click from a specific Fb ad. At least for us it was quite cost effective.

snocilla Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try it!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 13

It ended up costing me a small fortune and absolutely NO orders came from it. Problem is, your friends see it and they all click...instant charge. I even limited to $5 a day and over 30 days that is $150 after 3 months of this and no orders directly from this to offset the cost I ended my FB ad.

snocilla Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 13

hmmm... good point cakesdivine. Did anyone else get actual orders as opposed to just clicks?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

It ended up costing me a small fortune and absolutely NO orders came from it. Problem is, your friends see it and they all click...instant charge.

You should be able to specifically exclude your current FB friends from seeing the ad.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:

It ended up costing me a small fortune and absolutely NO orders came from it. Problem is, your friends see it and they all click...instant charge.

You should be able to specifically exclude your current FB friends from seeing the ad.

That was not an option listed when setting up the parameters that I saw, however this was quite sometime ago when I did these, might have been during the early stages of them launching ads. It may have changed since I did an ad.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

It ended up costing me a small fortune and absolutely NO orders came from it. Problem is, your friends see it and they all click...instant charge. I even limited to $5 a day and over 30 days that is $150 after 3 months of this and no orders directly from this to offset the cost I ended my FB ad.

Then you didn't do it right. It walks you through it, and I suggest anyone interested start an add, and you can see how the whole thing will work, what it will look like, and how much you'll be charged before you ever click confirm.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:08am
post #13 of 13

You can choose to exclude anyone already connected to your page. You can choose your daily budget & then check your clicks & traffic. If an ad is not working you can stop it at anytime.

I would not let an ad run for more than 2 days without getting the percentage of clicks you are looking for when you designed your ad. thumbs_up.gif

You can easily compare the success of your different ads. This helps us target customers better.

We have many loyal customers who found us through FB.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%