How Long Can Homemade Fondant Stay At Room Tempeture?

Decorating By sbuller9 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm by Tinabarena

sbuller9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbuller9 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:18am
post #1 of 9

I made some homemade fondant and i was just wondering how long can it sit in an air tight container at room tempeture?

8 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 9

I lightly grease with shortening and double wrap with plastic and place into an airtight container. It stays soft for months, but the shortening will go off in about a week (it smells and tastes like play dough).

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 9

I wrap my in plastic wrap, put in a ziplock bag, and then in a plastic container. I have had it store for quite some time and it is still good to use. I have never had it go bad. Just make sure that you wrap it well so that it does not dry out.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 9

Hi Fondant should always be kept at room temperature and not refridgerated. Just wrap it well and store in a container

sbuller9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbuller9 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 9

thanks i was just wondering because i made a batch used some and did not have a cake to do in about two weeks. i just wanted to know if it would stay good. thanks

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 9

Oops, am I wrong I thought I have read some CC'ers make their fondant then store it in the fridge? icon_redface.gif

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 9

How long will the fondant stay if you've already decorated the cake? I heard that you really shouldn't freeze an already decorated fondant cake, but I'm not sure if I can hold out until Saturday or not...I decorated some cakes on Thursday for an event this past Sunday. I have another event for this Saturday, and I wanted to use the cakes that didn't sell, but I'm not sure how they will hold up with the 9 days inbetween....advice/suggestions would be great.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabarena

How long will the fondant stay if you've already decorated the cake? I heard that you really shouldn't freeze an already decorated fondant cake, but I'm not sure if I can hold out until Saturday or not...I decorated some cakes on Thursday for an event this past Sunday. I have another event for this Saturday, and I wanted to use the cakes that didn't sell, but I'm not sure how they will hold up with the 9 days inbetween....advice/suggestions would be great.

No. Definitely not. If you'd ripped the fondant off and wrapped them on Sunday, maybe. But today? No way. Much too long for a cake.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 9

That's what I thought! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%