Covering Cake Dummies

Decorating By vwolf Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 2:28am by anoldhippy

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

If you do cake dummies say for a bridal show, and you want to be able to reuse them, other than fondant, would you cover them in royal icing?

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

I would cover in buttercream, it's really easy to clean off.

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! But I guess what I meant to ask is if you want to decorate them and keep them to use at more than one bridal show, and you don't want to cover them in fondant, do you use the royal icing? I saw something on a website called perma ice or something like that. I guess people also do this and keep for display, does anyone do this and what do you use?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 7

You can use buttercream or royal icing. Both willl dry rock hard and will last for years. I use fondant and it also dries rock hard.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I would cover in buttercream, it's really easy to clean off.

I agree with leily..I'd use buttercream. I make buttercream w/o flavorings and milk for my dummies. That stuff dries hard and is really easy to clean off the dummy once you're ready to change designs.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

As the others said, buttercream will dry rock hard. It just takes more time than fondant or royal icing. It will keep for years also.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 7

I do bridal shows also. I am a consultant, not a baker. I always have a cake on my table. I made mne out of royal icing. One thing Inoticed is that my sterling colored roses have really started to fade. I have one in my photo gallery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%