The Cupcake Girls

Lounge By crobbins18 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 6:29am by kelleyskreations

crobbins18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crobbins18 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 25

has anyone checked out WETv's The Cupcake Girls? What do you think?

24 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 25

I'm watching it right now. Way too much personal info...the one girl has talked about having to go to AA meetings and they just talked about how one of their employees is a transsexual. And now the other woman is at the fertility clinic.

Not quite what I expected.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 25

I am watching it now. It just makes me wonder how they are so unorganized and having so many mess ups how in the world they have been in business 8 years..lolicon_smile.gif

cattycornercakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:23am
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Bliss

I am watching it now. It just makes me wonder how they are so unorganized and having so many mess ups how in the world they have been in business 8 years..lolicon_smile.gif

OMG...thats what I just said to my husband. haha

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 25

Cupcake Girls... thumbsdown.gif However, the new show "Fabulous Cakes"... thumbs_up.gif It is all about cakes...not so much about the employees.
Of course, as usual, just my opinion!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #6 of 25

Just wait until the episode where one of them goes to the gynecologist.... I am not kidding...

cattycornercakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

Cupcake Girls... thumbsdown.gif However, the new show "Fabulous Cakes"... thumbs_up.gif It is all about cakes...not so much about the employees.

I love Fabulous Cakes. They show so much of how they do things. That's what I like to see.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #8 of 25

I like Fabulous cakes also...I like seeing their techniques and explanations of things. Its not just aw I'm gonna make it blow smoke, jump up and down and do flips....

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #9 of 25

I actually just finished watching cupcake girls and I am appalled that they are on tv and that they have a business. I thought it was going to be about actually making cupcakes and running their business but it was more about not having enough time to hire employees because one girl is exercising and the other girls is busy with something else. Then when they have no one to run their shop they don't want to step up and actually "work". I could not believe that they both had no idea about baking and making cupcakes before they opened their shop. They just decided one day that "oh I think I will start a bakery, it seems easy enough". I really was shocked to find out after the show that they have been in business since 2002 and have many different shops. I love fabulous cakes though, pretty good show. Sorry about the long rant.

crobbins18 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

I'm watching it right now. Way too much personal info...the one girl has talked about having to go to AA meetings and they just talked about how one of their employees is a transsexual. And now the other woman is at the fertility clinic.

Not quite what I expected.

Im wondering how shows that are set up to be about cupcake businesses (i.e. the cupcake girls, dc cupcakes..) are just like reality shows about people and their drama with no emphasis on the actual business...I definitely was expecting this

crobbins18 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:41am
post #11 of 25
Quote:

i totally agree

crobbins18 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin

I actually just finished watching cupcake girls and I am appalled that they are on tv and that they have a business. I thought it was going to be about actually making cupcakes and running their business but it was more about not having enough time to hire employees because one girl is exercising and the other girls is busy with something else. Then when they have no one to run their shop they don't want to step up and actually "work". I could not believe that they both had no idea about baking and making cupcakes before they opened their shop. They just decided one day that "oh I think I will start a bakery, it seems easy enough". I really was shocked to find out after the show that they have been in business since 2002 and have many different shops. I love fabulous cakes though, pretty good show. Sorry about the long rant.

feel free to rant! i totally agree with everyone who has commented!

Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #13 of 25

I love fabulous cakes. It's all about the cakes and how much it cost, which helps young brides understand how much work you put into creating a dream cake.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 25

That is the one thing I love about Fabulouse cakes, they tell how much a cake really costs. People don't seem to understand how expensive cakes can be and when they watch these cake shows they think its not a big deal and shouldn't cost so much. I had one woman order a cake, I gave her a really good deal and then she canceled the cake a few days later and said it was too expensive and would be getting a cake at walmart. This was suppose to be a 3 tiered cake for her 40th anniversary and she wanted a very elegant cake. She said she had to cut some cost since she just started a new job but was unwilling to cut the number of people down for her party and reduce the size of the cake. Don't think she will be getting what she wants at walmart.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobbins18

has anyone checked out WETv's The Cupcake Girls? What do you think?

I didn't care for the show at all!!!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

I had one woman order a cake, I gave her a really good deal and then she canceled the cake a few days later and said it was too expensive and would be getting a cake at walmart. This was suppose to be a 3 tiered cake for her 40th anniversary and she wanted a very elegant cake. She said she had to cut some cost since she just started a new job but was unwilling to cut the number of people down for her party and reduce the size of the cake. Don't think she will be getting what she wants at walmart.

I understand the WalMart effect like ReginaHerrin. Ive been told by family members, Oh you can get a beautiful cake at WalMart for $30.

First of all, they arent custom cakes. Im sure the quality of the ingredients used arent the same as we would use. Mass production of these cookie cutter cakes naturally will allow a lower cost. And all that aside, if they happened to lose money on their cakes, they could make it up elsewhere in the store on something else they sell.

You get what you pay for and if you enjoy a $30 cake from WalMart, then youre welcome to it.

You know I like to eat at McDonalds or Taco Bell occasionally, but I wouldnt go there for my 40th Anniversary dinner. I think Id want something a little more special and I think special is what we do and thankfully there are some people that do appreciate it.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 25

Cupcake Girls are based in Vancouver, B.C. and it airs on W Network. I agree ... they don't do much in the way of actual baking, but lots of junk we don't care about. It's a wonder they're still in business.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 25

I saw Cupcake Girls last night for the 1st and LAST time!!!
What did it have to do with cupcakes??? This show is worse than
DC Cupcakes and that show ROTS!!

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 25

T too luv Fabulous Cakes!!!That is a real cake show, that's worth watching~~

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:

However, the new show "Fabulous Cakes"... thumbs_up.gif It is all about cakes...not so much about the employees.

I also love Fabulous Cakes! I think it's awesome that a show actually tells you how much that cake costs!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #21 of 25

Wouldn't it be nice if TV producers read some of these threads about these shows and gave us what we really wanted to see. A reality show about what it is "REALLY" like to be a cake decorator. Maybe we need to start an email campaign to DC Cupcakes and all the other rotten cakes show out there and tell them what we wanted to see and what the cake buying public NEEDS to see. Come on ladies and gentlemen start sending those emails!!!!!

crobbins18 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

I saw Cupcake Girls last night for the 1st and LAST time!!!
What did it have to do with cupcakes??? This show is worse than
DC Cupcakes and that show ROTS!!

i cant stand dc cupcakes either! where did they find these "cupcake businesses"....and i say that lightly...

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Just wait until the episode where one of them goes to the gynecologist.... I am not kidding...

I think I just vomited a little..... icon_eek.gif

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:10am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

Quote:

Sorry! icon_surprised.gif

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:29am
post #25 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

Quote:

Sorry! icon_surprised.gif

OK maybe it is because it is 1:30 am but this series of posts has me ROFL!! Coupled with the smilies!! Too funny!!

Oh and I did not like cupcake girls either and didn't even finish one whole episode icon_smile.gif Fabulous cakes is great!! I also like Ultimate Cake off and sorry but we love Cake Boss around here icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%