Cake Board For 9X13?

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm by pmarks0

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 25

What size cake board do you use on a 9x13 cake? I'm finding that I can only get either 10x14 or 14x19. 10x14 is too small since I like to have at least an inch on each side but 14x19 is huge plus it's way more money.

24 replies
Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:56am
post #2 of 25

I have recently started using foam core board and it is inexpensive and I can cut to any size. I got a bunch at Michaels on sale a month or so ago for .99cents each but I have heard they also have them at Walmart but haven't checked their prices. icon_smile.gif

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 25

My local cake supply shop sells 1/3 sheet boards. I actually did a 1/4 sheet cake last night and put it on the 1/3 sheet decorative gold board. I thought it fit perfectly. The board was plenty big enough for a nice border, but not too big that it looked awkward.

KTB4 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:19am
post #4 of 25

Cake_Bliss - I've thought about doing that but quite frankly the effort it would take is more than I am willing to expend icon_biggrin.gif Plus then I have to buy Fanci-Foil which is WAY too much money in my opinion!

soph917 - sadly I don't have a cake supply shop anywhere near me so am limited to what I can get at a bulk store or online. Do you know what the rough dimensions of the 1/3 sheet board was? (Many places in Canada I find don't call things 1/2 sheets etc, they go by dimensions)

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 25

KBT4, foamcore isn't difficult to cut. Just measure out your size and use an exacto blade. It pierces right through the board and the piece comes off easily. And while a roll of fancy foil isn't cheap, it goes a long way. I've stopped using precut boards as they aren't as sturdy as foam core board and I've found that I actually spend less / board by cutting and covering my own. Otherwise, you can cut down the bigger sheet cake board to the size you'd like if you don't have a cake supply shop nearby.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 25

I cut my own from foam board, too. It's strong and light and can be layered for heavier cakes. Plus, I like being able to cut it to shape for carved cakes. I either buy it by the case online or watch Hobby Lobby and Michaels for sales. I don't use much foil for covering the boards. I mostly use freezer paper, turned so that the plastic coating is on the outside. It's cheap, looks good (not fancy...just tidy and clean), frosting smears can be wiped off with a damp paper towel, and it's unobtrusive. But, mostly...it's cheap. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I cut my own from foam board, too. It's strong and light and can be layered for heavier cakes. Plus, I like being able to cut it to shape for carved cakes. I either buy it by the case online or watch Hobby Lobby and Michaels for sales. I don't use much foil for covering the boards. I mostly use freezer paper, turned so that the plastic coating is on the outside. It's cheap, looks good (not fancy...just tidy and clean), frosting smears can be wiped off with a damp paper towel, and it's unobtrusive. But, mostly...it's cheap. icon_smile.gif

Me, too. If you can find the 1/2" foam core at art supply stores, it's more supportive and less work (you don't have to trim 3 sheets for the same thickness).

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 25

I have a terrible time cutting any type of board to fit the cake perfectly. Pre-cut boards just never work out correctlysize-wise for me. Cutting through the boards is a nightmare, especially for carved and odd-shaped cakes. I use new blades in the craft knives-nothing seems to help. I find that part of the process to be more frustrating that the caking part.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 25

KTB4, I live in Canada too. If you tell me what province your in, I might be able to guide you to were you can purchase what you need. I tend to use foam core too, but that's only because I find it's more support for the cake.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I have a terrible time cutting any type of board to fit the cake perfectly. Pre-cut boards just never work out correctlysize-wise for me. Cutting through the boards is a nightmare, especially for carved and odd-shaped cakes. I use new blades in the craft knives-nothing seems to help. I find that part of the process to be more frustrating that the caking part.

I just use regular sharp kitchen knives. Perhaps it works well because the blades are bigger and stronger.

KTB4 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 25

Thanks for the tips ladies icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca - I'm in Ontario. I buy a lot from Golda's and Flour Confections. I just wish there was a size in between 10x14 and 19x14 lol

thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 25

Hey KTB4 I'm from Ontario too...I also buy from Golda's.....have you been to McCall's.....there on Fewster Drive. They have all different sizes, and all kinds of things for cakers....cheap. McCalls phone # is (905) 602-9622 ....M c C a l l s. c o m .....no spaces.

thatslifeca Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 25

OHhhhh and it's great to see a fellow Canadian caker on here every once in a while. icon_smile.gif

KTB4 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #14 of 25

No sadly I haven't been to McCalls I'm the other direction - east toward Kingston. If I ever get to one of these stores in person it'll most likely be FC since it's in Pickering.

I will check them out online though, thanks. It is nice to see other Canadians on here you're right. We can commiserate about the prices of things we pay together LOL I get so jealous reading about the price of sugar in the US!!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

Thanks for the tips ladies icon_smile.gif

thatslifeca - I'm in Ontario. I buy a lot from Golda's and Flour Confections. I just wish there was a size in between 10x14 and 19x14 lol

I buy my drum boards from Flour Confections, but I buy the thinner cake boards from Bulk Barn. For a 9x13 I use an 11x15 which I get at Bulk Barn. They're the thinner ones. If you need them thicked, you can always glue 2 or 3 together and then wrap them. But I've found them fairly strong.

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:09am
post #16 of 25

It is sad isn't....especial with our new HST it's making me so miserable. I'm going to Buffallo on the 26th of this month just to buy cake supplies.....I just send the kids off to school...so it's my feel good trip cause the babies are all gone till Christmas LOL.

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:11am
post #17 of 25

Hi pmarks...I've bought the ones from bulk barn...never thought to clue them together thu.

pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:14am
post #18 of 25

Also, if you join the Canadian Cake Decorators Guild, you can get a discount at Flour Confections, Bulk Barn and McCalls. I haven't been out to McCalls yet, but I know for their warehouse, you have to be a member. I haven't joined yet myself.

http://www.canadiancakedecorators.com/

Thatslifeca - I'm planning on a cake supply buying spree when I'm in Florida at Chrismas. icon_biggrin.gif

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #19 of 25

The membership fee for McCalls is 25 bucks if you don't a have a business number by the way.

pmarks0, omg thats going to be so great. You get to shop for cake stuff and tan at the same time. I have found that recently I am buying less stuff from Canada and more from the US. Some stuff I just can't get here, and I go to the Hobby Lobby down in Buffallo, it's like the car knows how to get there LOL. I buy some great cake stuff that we just don't see here.

KTB4 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #20 of 25

LOL you two are funny. icon_biggrin.gif

pmarks - I was using 2 of the BB boards for my 9x13 cakes together but still finding that it bends. perhaps next time I'll try 3 (although by the time I do that I think I will have spent as much as if I just bought a thick big one from FC)

I'm going to check out that link since discounts are always good. I really must get myself an EDL or passport so i can go to the States. I have a girlfriend who goes every few months so I get her to bring back mixes and pudding for me but I'd love to be able to go and shop myself! Must get on that!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:23am
post #21 of 25

I am from Niagara. Where else do you all of you shop in Buffalo? I have been looking for somewhere there to buy cake supplies other than Michaels, and Joanns. I don't need any more Wilton stuff.
If you join the Canadian Cake Decorators Guild for $35 you get the $25 McCalls membership thrown in, as well as 10% discounts at other locations. It is a good deal.

pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:36am
post #22 of 25

thatslifeca - does Hobby Lobby have different items than Michaels? I've heard that even with the exchange rate, buying at Michaels in the US is a good deal. although at this point though, I'm really interested in products that Michaels doesn't carry, which is why I like Flour Confections, which is 10 minutes away. (Can't wait for the Bronwen Webber class next week. icon_biggrin.gif)

What I'm really looking for in the US is the filling sleeves, some flavourings, and Magic Line pans...among other items. icon_smile.gif I'm planning to order from here so I can pick up the order while down there. http://www.fondantsource.com/

thatslifeca Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:28am
post #23 of 25

The Michaels in the US carries exactly what we carry for almost the same price, their prices are a few cents cheaper. I get the sleeve fillings here in Canada from a place called Icing Inspirations. The owners name is Christie she is great. I'm taking a class there with The sweet southern ladies in Sept. She brings in all the pme stuff that I usually ask for and I luvs her for it icon_biggrin.gif. And YES Hobby Lobby I find to be different, even thou they are somewhat like Micheals, they do carry way more stuff.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:16am
post #24 of 25

pmarks,
Where in Florida do you buy your caking stuff?

pmarks0 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #25 of 25

cutthecake - this will be the first time I do buy in Florida, but I'm going to place an online order here http://www.fondantsource.com/ and then pick it up at their location to save shipping. They don't have an actual retail store unfortunately. But I'm going to see if there are any other vendors in the area as well that do have store fronts.

thatslifeca - I'll have to check out Icing Inspirations. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%