Please Help With Cake Idea. .too Much Freedom!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 12:52am by nonilm

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, I have been instructed to make a "Colorful Cake". . .lol that's all they'll give me. The birthday boy likes green, so figured I'll use lots of boy colors. . green, blue, red, yellow. . etc. . .but I don't want to just do a round cake with lots of stripes/swirls on it.

It is for an 11 year old.

I would like to funk it up some to make it something special still. . .it needs to be a small cake though. . nothing large.

I would REALLY appreciate any ideas/pictures of other cakes.

Free reign is nice. . .sometimes. . lol!

Thanks so much!

12 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 13

Could you do a round cake in a primary color and then decorate it w/fondant accents of "boy stuff" Legos, robots, sport equipment?

Kristy

forheavenscake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 13

Hmmm. . that's not a bad idea. I will have to ask them what he likes.

thanks! =o) Keep the ideas comin'!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #4 of 13

I get that a lot, just do what ever, this is what i am decorating with, they like lego, ect. I always keep asking questions....until i have enough to do something with. you could do a colorful water gun that would be easy, summer fun, and boy like and you could pipe it, carve it, make it with fondant or you could do to and make to boy silhouette with water guns spraying each other or water balloons fight.

AuntieV2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieV2010 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:22am
post #5 of 13

You have a hamburger cake in your photos. You could do one of them. I do not know any boy that age that would not like one.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 8:51am
post #6 of 13

I'd also find out what he likes. You can do a simple colorful cake...dots, strips but put his favorite stuff as the topper...football, video game, whatever. Match the dots and strips with the topper. Maybe swap out the dots for easy cutout footballs, or whatever he's into. I love freedom but sometime it hard. Often I ask how their house is decorated, get pics of his room, it will give you some insight.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 9:24am
post #7 of 13

what about a tye-dye cake?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:11am
post #8 of 13

if they dont give you any further inspiration, think about what you want to do. do you need practice at moselling, or piping? do you want to try a topsy turvy? something with gumpaste? carving an animal?
if the only request is colour, then run with what techniques you want to try out, stick to their minimal request and everyone should be pleased!
xx

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 13

This happened to me last weekend! I had a lot of lead time - 4 weeks... I was asked to make a cake for 4 year old twin boys, one liked Thomas, one liked Care Bears, and she wanted LOTS of color and something original. I had the hardest time coming up with a way to include all of this. I had a few different "visions" in my head on what I wanted to do, but just "threw" the cake together and it turned out great! I also emailed a couple of time to ask questions on favorite colors, etc.

I say do a small round, make the base color a light color - say light blue - and then decorate with lots of primary colored dots of all sizes and put Happy Birthday XXX in the center. That is fun and something you can't get a the grocery store! icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

what about a tye-dye cake?

My thought exactly! I'm not sure I posted the picture, but I did one with the batter tye died and it was a HUGE hit.. they're still talking about it. And I like the lego idea too!

forheavenscake Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you so much for all the ideas!

I REALLY like the tye dye idea. . . icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to find out more specifics about the birthday boy today and then will narrow it down from there. . but I really think he would like the tye dye cake. . super cool idea!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:47am
post #12 of 13

How about something like a superhero comics panel, with a "color dot" type background and lots of "POW!" "BOOM!" stuff, starbursts and lightning bolts and things exploding out of it? (My 9yo son who loves green would adore it.)

Tie dye is great too. Anything kind of crazy and uncontrolled looking should be good. icon_smile.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #13 of 13

How about a cake that looks like it was hit with different color paint balls?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%