Applying Fondant To A Pillow Cake

Decorating By Stella2010 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm by Stella2010

Stella2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella2010 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 11

Do you apply the fondant as one piece that tucks in under the cake or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!
Stella2010

10 replies
cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 11

that technique was JUST on a tv show called fabulous cakes!!
they did one side of the pillow, then flipped the ENTIRE CAKE, and then applied fondant to the opposite side!!!
hope that helps!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 11

(Part 2)

Here's a tutorial on Youtube I found. HTH a little

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 11

I managed to cover mine in one piece with no problems. They started out as 9 inch sguares so were much smaller after carving, You need to make sure fondant is not too thin because of the danger of tearing on the corners.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 11

i saw that show to and liked the way she put it on, she put it on the top, then cut a semi circle not very high from peak to peak, same for all side's, and put twisted rope fondant with fringe on the corners, she held up the rope with toothpicks till it dried, i can't wait to try the pillow, some times when you go on the site they will show a video,

Stella2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 11

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 11

im thinging of making the pillow cake in a coupple of months for my daughter does anyone know if a 12x18 cake pan is a good size. or what size did anyone use ? to get an nice size pillow. thats not to small. thanks

Rosiepan Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

im thinging of making the pillow cake in a coupple of months for my daughter does anyone know if a 12x18 cake pan is a good size. or what size did anyone use ? to get an nice size pillow. thats not to small. thanks

You basicly can use any shape pan to make a cushion but you are looking at cutting away an inch at least each side so a 12 inch square will reduce down to a 10 ich. I would recommend doing a practise run on a small cake before the real thing so you get to see the dimensions. The good thing is you can always make cake pops with the left overs (not that there are any wih my DH).

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 11

thanks rosiepan, thats true u no i just made those cake balls for the first time the other day and i bought some to my grandchildren and when my daughter taste them she said ok the kids r not getting these and she is not even a cake eater

Stella2010 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone. The tutorials are very helpful. I'll post a picture when I've completed the pillow.

Stella2010

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%