Can I Freeze Icing Plugs Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By cakeythings1961 Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm by cakeythings1961

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 3

I'll be making my daughter's wedding cake in Sept. The wedding will take place in another state, and I'll be borrowing my MIL's kitchen to bake & assemble the cake & cupcakes. I'll need cream cheese icing (for the cupcake swirls) that I will make here at home & freeze. I like to use icing plugs, and it would be soooooo convenient if I could just make up the icing plugs and freeze them.

But will that compromise the quality of the icing? Usually I need to stir or whip icing that has been frozen. But maybe it doesn't matter for soft icing swirls???

Has anyone tried freezing the icing plugs? Thanks!

2 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 3

Yes I have! And it is soo convenient. I just color my icings and make my plugs. Sometimes I go as far as loading in the piping bags and "capping" them with plastic wrap as well. I do massage the plug a little bit if I see some separation in the icing but that almost never happens, specially if you are freezing them. If I'm making the x-tra large plugs for icicng the cake I usually do those the day before (when I'm too tired to do anything else) and just refrigerate them, and that saves so much time and agravation.
Just two weeks ago I went out town to visit family and make cakes for a couple of their birthdays. I left my equipment behind because my hubbie was coming by car and I didn't feel like going thru the airport security issues with my compressor and caking stuff ( I've found they DO NOT like it) but I figured my husband was capable of remembering to bring my cake suitcase withe the big RED sign saying "BRING THIS and don't forget the bag of icings in the fridge"... Well, he brought the suitcase but not my bag of pre-colored and pre-loaded bullets for icing and decorating. It was the Tinkerbell cake in my pics (lots of colors) I didn't know wether to s--t or throw up, all that time that I wanted to save, oh well. So sorry for the long rant on your post, but this brought it back to my mind after I wanted to forget it! icon_cry.gif I'm ok now icon_lol.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 3

Raquele, thank you so much for your response! I'm doing so much for the wedding --flowers, appetizers, homemade bread & rolls....oh, and the cakes! Most of it has to be done in the day or two before the wedding, so anything I can do ahead of time will really help me out. So, thanks, you just took a huge load off my mind!!!!!!!
Oh, and I don't mind your rant at all. icon_smile.gif I imagine I'll be ranting quite a lot after the wedding!
Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%