Make A Giant Cupcake Using Stacked Cakes?

Decorating By Simply_Scrumptious Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 3:36am by mbark

Simply_Scrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simply_Scrumptious Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 2

I attempted to make a giant cupcake today like the ones Andrea's Sweetcakes on Flickr does all the time.... I think it was one of the worst cakes I have ever made! I was very upset on my end result.

I gave red velvet with cream cheese filling a go (I think these were 2 of my mistakes) and used RKT for the dome part, with a fondant bead to get the rimmed effect of an iced peak then convered it with RI and more fondant - need I say, the cakes crushed the red velvet (even after supporting them with dowels and cake boards), and the cream cheese warmed too much which made the fondant sag and tear in places. Cake doesn't normally make me mad, but this one DID! GRRR!!!

Moving on...
What would be the best technique to get the shape?
What would be the best cake to use for the giant cupcake to avoid crushing?
What icing/frosting/filling would work best to avoid settling/sliding?

AND THE BIG QUESTION....can you refridgerate fondant covered cakes?

Thanks all for your insight and suggestions!
Jolynn

1 reply
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 2

darn it Jolynn, sorry you had such trouble! I bought the Wilton sports ball pan and use that as my cupcake top, it's the perfect dome shape. I usually put that under a board, then stack on maybe 3 layers of cake.
I have also found cream cheese to be troublesome with sliding, you'd just need to be sure to use something not slippery in the filling (no pudding, jam), flavored buttercream is always a good bet!
I don't have problems refrigerating fondant covered cakes but know many people say otherwise. It could possibly depend on the heat/humidity where you live.
HTH & good luck next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%