Help! I Cannot Get My Icing Dark Enough!

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 3:27am by katibeth88

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 5

I am sort of in panic mode. I hope there isn't already a thread about this. I looked but I got overwhelmed!

Im trying to make icing for a camo cake for my son's 5th bday tomorrow morning. I have wilton gel colors. Leaf green, moss green, black, brown and the 8-color set. I have a tan made up, and I have a lighter green made up. I cannot get black or a darker, sort of hunter green to save my life!!! I don't know what to do! I see lots of pictures on this site of perfect camo colors, and I have even consulted the color wheel to no avail. I got a blue-green instead of a drak hunter green. Does anyone know what I could do? Thank you in advance for any advice!

4 replies
katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5

hmm.... i used a wilton color called juniper green mixed with a tad of black for my dark green on a cake I did recently. Then again, I made the camo out of fondant.. But I would think that icing would be easier to tint.. What recipe of icing are you using?

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 5

Im using a standard BC. 2 sticks of butter, 1.5 cups of shortening, vanilla, 2lbs of powdered sugar, 2tbsp karo and milk to consitency. It's an outdoor party, hence the higher shortening ratio. The colors I listed in my first post are the only colors I have at my disposal. icon_sad.gif Sigh. And Michaels only had Moss green...the darkest they had in stock. :/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 5

Wilton colors take up to two hours to fully develop. Wait.

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

Could you whip up some chocolate icing? I've added cocoa to my buttercream in order to get a darker color and it worked. I think i still had to add a bit of black, but not NEARLY as much as if I were trying to color white. Plus it'll taste nice and chocolatey icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%