Help! Can I Put My Cake In The Refridgerator?

Decorating By kristanashley Updated 15 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm by srkmilklady

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 6

I made a cake with strawberry mousse filling for the first time (whipping cream with pudding mix, jello mix, and sugar). I used an edible image for the first time and made a fondant plaque with it that sits on top of my cake. If I put the cake in the refridgerator overnight, will the colors on the edible image run? And if I don't refridgerate the cake, will it spoil? I can't take the edible image off the cake because it has fondant draped over it and I don't want my fondant to crack. Please help!

5 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 6

When do you plan to serve the cake? Tomorrow? I think it might be o.k. to sit on the kitchen counter overnight. Not sure how the edible image thing works...never tried it before.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:30am
post #3 of 6

edible images are fine being refrigerated in my experience ( I used to work in a grocery store bakery), freezing them is when they can start to run once defrosting

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 6

In the past 2 months I have made 2 cakes that had an edible image. I purchased my images at the local grocery store and was told to make sure to refrigerate them when I got home until I was ready to use them. I was also told to keep them wrapped in the plastic sleeve so they wouldn't dry out.

I made the cakes, applied the images and refrigerated until the next day, mainly because my cakes were iced and filled with IMBC under my fondant.

When I took the cakes out, there was a bit of "sweating" that occured due to our high humidity, but they eventually dried out and the images were unaffected.

I'm not sure I would want to leave your cake unrefrigerated, mainly because of the whipping cream you've used.

Now, this was just my experience and I am fairly new to this whole thing, but not knowing where you are located and what your weather conditions are, I can only tell you how it went for me.

Good luck!!!

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help. Just so you know, I put the cake in the refridgerator and everything turned out perfectly. No worries. icon_smile.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%