Thinning Candy Melts For Dipping...aarrgghh!

Sugar Work By PuffCake Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 1:21am by cindy531

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 9

Today was my first time using Wilton candy melts. I wanted the mixture really thin for dipping so I added oil, and more oil, and more oil, etc until I had added at least 3/4 cup or more to one 14 oz bag of melts. I just couldn't get it thin enough until I added that much oil.

I was under the impression that you only needed to add a TBSP at the most, but the melted candy melts were far too thick to dip easily. It seems so gross to add that much oil. Any suggestions or is this typical if you want them thin enough to be able to dip?

8 replies
aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 9

Were the candy melts old? I've never added oil to Wilton candy melts and things have been dipped without issue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 9

I'm also thinking they were old or they somehow got some moisture in them so they seized up a bit.

I used to own 5 chocolate fountains and ran multiple fountains at weddings all the time. Anywhere from less than a 1/4 to MAYBE a 1/2 cup was all I added (and since I measured by "handfuls" and not "ounces", I probably had a lot more of the disks ... more than 14 oz .,... in the batch than you do).

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 9

This happened to me, but it was strange because I was using lots of different colours, but it was only the dark green that was giving me trouble and I ended up not using that colour.
After the fact, I read that if you overheat the melts they can get too thick, so maybe that was my problem, or I inadvertently got a drop of water in there or something.
I didn't realise it could have been that they were too old (I had only just bought them but who knows how long they were on the shelf at the store).

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 9

I always use vegetable shortening with the candy melts and have no problem!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 9

How did you melt them? Is it possible they siezed up when you were melting them? I either use the Wilton Chocolate Pro for when I am dipping small amounts of cake bites, candies, etc. or I melt in the microwave 15-30 seconds at a time and stir after each time.

PuffCake Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:49am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for your replies! I don't think they were old, I just bought them last week. I used the Wilton Chocolate Pro and they melted really well. I don't think it seized, once melted it was smooth and creamy, just too thick to dip easily. I wanted it pretty thin for easy dipping and shaking off the excess.

I also melted some in 4 different colors (altogether I purchased at 3 different stores) in the microwave directly in squeeze bottles to used in silicone molds. They all looked the same when I melted them, all colors, the ones in the chocolate pro and the ones in the microwave, so I don't think anything was wrong with them. I added some oil to the squeeze bottles too, but I didn't need those to be so thin for putting in the molds.

I guess melted candy melts are just thick, but I didn't expect to have to add so much oil to get them to a runny consistency for dipping.

PuffCake Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 9

Forgot to mention to Indydebi if you're still watching this thread...

Thank you so much for coming to Columbus to speak at our Cake Club Meeting this past Tuesday. It was so much fun! It was great to see you and hear your words of wisdom in person! BTW, I LOVE your icing recipe. I"ve been using it for a couple of months now and it's awesome!

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

I use paramount crystals....works really well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%