Wedding Cake Topper - Help!

Decorating By Bugaboo_Bakery Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm by Bugaboo_Bakery

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything to help me with this problem.

Tomorrow I am delivering a 3 tiered wedding cake. It is a very simple design I have done a many times. The new part is the cake topper.

The topper is so heavy. It weighs close to 2 pounds and the bride must have it on her cake. This is totally fine with me but I can't really dowel it because you will be able to see the dowels under the topper. There has to be something or I'm scared the topper is going to sink into the cake or just fall off.

Has anyone ever put a dowel in the top tier, placed a cake board on top, and then covered it in fondant?

Anyone have any tricks for me?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

~Michelle

2 replies
Dimps9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dimps9 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsmama

Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forum but haven't found anything to help me with this problem.

Tomorrow I am delivering a 3 tiered wedding cake. It is a very simple design I have done a many times. The new part is the cake topper.

The topper is so heavy. It weighs close to 2 pounds and the bride must have it on her cake. This is totally fine with me but I can't really dowel it because you will be able to see the dowels under the topper. There has to be something or I'm scared the topper is going to sink into the cake or just fall off.

Has anyone ever put a dowel in the top tier, placed a cake board on top, and then covered it in fondant?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

~Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Your best bet is to use a card covered in fondant, secure underside with royal icing.
This can be transported separately and attached to cake on site with royal icing/sugarpaste - may need to do a little piping shellls etc. to cover any gaps.

Hope this helps and good luck

Avril

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimps9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsmama

Hi everyone,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

~Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Your best bet is to use a card covered in fondant, secure underside with royal icing.
This can be transported separately and attached to cake on site with royal icing/sugarpaste - may need to do a little piping shellls etc. to cover any gaps.

Hope this helps and good luck

Avril

Thanks Avril!

I think you are right. It sounds like the perfect plan. It is so funny to me that I have made many cakes in the past but with each new order comes a new challenge. We certainly have the best job in the world, don't you think?!?! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%