Using Rice Krispies Treats

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 11:39am by jlkallred

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 22

I've been reading about using the RK treats for some decorations and wondered how to go about it. Is it the same recipe as on the box? Does it need to be made ahead to sort of dry out or is it used freshly made? Is it covered w/ BC then fondant/candy clay? Sorry, I know these are probably dumb questions, but I want to be sure it works when I try it!
Thanks in advance for your help!

21 replies
SHAUNADRODDY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHAUNADRODDY Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 22

i use the recipe on the box, or i buy the already made rice crispie treats in the box, and yes i put a layer of bc before covering in fondant. just smash it all together until you get the shape you need. it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it... icon_smile.gif

jlkallred Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks! Sounds easy enough!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 22

There was a thread the other day about adding candy melts or melted white chocolate chips to help with stability and make the treats more solid. Another tip was to crunch up the cereal before adding the melted ingredients. I haven't tried this yet, just sharing.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 12:59am
post #5 of 22

If you are doing a small piece, it is easier just to buy a box of rice krispie treats. If you are doing a larger piece, I just melt marshmallows and add rice krispies (no butter). The tiger face on my Cincinnati Bengals cake in my photos is all rice krispie treats. I just melted marshmallows and added the cereal, formed, covered in buttercream and put on the fondant and worked the fondant over the pre-formed rice krispie treats and hand-painted. The lighthouse cliff is plain rice krispie treats sprayed with Wilton Color-Mist Spray, the clowns are store bought covered with buttercream and fondant. I love working with RKT.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:13am
post #6 of 22

Today, I worked on a rkt coconut I am making to go along with a hermit crab for a cake for tomorrow.
One of the mistakes I made (I am very new to fondant and rkt) I put too much buttercream icing on the rkt before I put the fondant on. I think I may have also rolled the fondant a little too thin.(I have worked with buttercream icing forever!) As I place the fondant on the rkt coconut, I accidentally started poking holes in the fondant. I patched it up (they were small holes/tears ) and tomorrow, I will hide the mistake with some hibiscus flowers I made.

I hope this helps.

P. S. I only made a 1/2 recipe on the box, I only needed the coconut and I added one square of white melting chocolate to help with support.

jlkallred Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 22

Thank you, ladies! I appreciate all the advice!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 22

if you are using candy clay you do not need to put a layer of buttercream. I personally love to mix the two together, it makes a great medium for modeling. Check out this link: http://cakecentral.com/cake-de.....-pepe.html

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 22

I too am new to rkt making/using. I tried to cover a rkt horse shoe in fondant the other day and it didnt work, i ended up trashing it, it was not smooth and you could see the rkt bumps in it.. I did not put icing on it because it was a U shape and hard to cover from and back since it was standing up U for the cake..

Any help on how to cover with no bumps or how to cover with no seams front and back?

jessie_mckinzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessie_mckinzie Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 22

I have found that using a little less butter makes it harden up a little faster. I think the best way to not get seams is to mix the fondant and the modeling chocolate together. This is what we used on the bed posts (see link below) to cover them. It was a tricky design and the mix made it easy to blend the seams.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1768938

~Jessie icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:41am
post #11 of 22

did you add icing before the fondant/mod? to the bed posts

jessie_mckinzie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 22

Nope. It was applied directly to the rice crispies. It was slightly textured, but I didn't see it as a bad thing since it was meant to replicate wood. If you want it smoother, you should probably go with a buttercream layer.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 22

Speaking of candy clay I've yet to work with it but adding the chocolate to treats sounds interesting. I made an Elmo last month with RKT and his head fell off. It split side to side from the dowel rod. Had to redo him. Anyway, does anyone have a fail proof recipe for candy clay? Thanks in advance.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 22

A couple of weeks ago, in another thread, someone suggested covering the RKT figure with melted chocolate - rather than buttercream. I did this on my last project and it worked extremely well. I melted candy melts and then slathered all over my RKT piece. When it had solidified, I took a hot knife and smoothed all the surfaces. I was able to fill any remaining voids and even corner irregularities with the excess chocolate. When I applied the fondant, I got a super-smooth finish. Also, the hardened chocolate, plus the hardened fondant, gave me alot of extra strength that I didn't get with buttercream. From now it this will be the process that I always use.

Oh, yes - I also squeeze the bejeebers out of my molded piect to really pack the RKT together for added strength and stability.

I did the plane and suitcase on this cake using chocolate as my coating:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1761493

Today, I'm going to start building a hot-rod pickup truck this way :>)

jessie_mckinzie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 22

Another plus to the modeling chocolate rice crispy treats is that it was almost more popular than the cake itself icon_smile.gif People loved eating chocolate covered rice crispy treats.

As for candy clay I have not had any problems with this recipe:

1 bag of Wilton's Candy Melts
6 tablespoons of light corn syrup

I always use a double boiler and heat until just melted. Mix the light corn syrup and stir until the consistancy starts to harden. Stop as soon as it is all mixed. It is important not to over mix. Pour into a disc on plastic wrap and let cool - about an hour or two in the fridge.

Once it cools I throw in my standing mixer with the bread hook to soften it and break it up. You will have to knead it a little bit, but the mixer does most the work.

I love using all the color options that are available.

**ycknits
- LOVE your cake!!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks for all the great information. I haven't tried RKT yet but I have to make zhu zhu pets next month for my DD out of them.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:51pm
post #17 of 22

i used RKT for the head of my monkey cake. i just make sure to really compact it so it is as solid as possible. once i get the shape i want i try ans smooth the bumps down a bit before frosting...i also cover it in ganache (setting) instead of buttercream. the ganache sets up pretty hard, and i can use my had to spread it and really get it into the cracks. also, put your fondant on a bit thicker than you normally would for a cake and the bumps shoudlnt come thru. marshall the monkey's head was pretty smooth and he didnt fall off or break and he travelled 5 hours.

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 22

Jessie have you used color gels to color your candy clay or do you just use the different colored melts?
If you use gels when do you add them once the clay has been kneaded?

thanks

jessie_mckinzie Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #19 of 22

So far I have only used the colored chips, but I have read you can color the white easily enough.

Here is a forum that is very informative

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/39546/white-chocolate-molding-chocolate

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:03pm
post #20 of 22

does the molding chocolate keep the RKT from becoming stale? I want to get a head start on a 3d structure for this coming labor day week, is this too soon to work on the RKT?

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #21 of 22

here's a tutorial I made for making candy clay, the picture at the end shows a baseball cake, the ball and bat are RKT with candy clay over the top:

jlkallred Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:39am
post #22 of 22

I always use the white chips for my candy clay, then I use the color (Wilton or Americolor) to get the color I want to use. I've never had any trouble w/ it (except when I get in a hurry and add too much at one time!). I use Wilton White White to get it really white....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%