How Much To Charge?

Business By Aces Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm by Aces

Aces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aces Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 9

Hello CC'ers!

I need some help! I'll be making an engagement party cake for one of my close friends soon and am unsure of what to charge her. I certainly dont want to sell myself short but i also dont want to overcharge her. I'll be making a two tier ring boxes cake for around 80 guests. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 9

Do you know how much your supplies will cost you?

Aces Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Do you know how much your supplies will cost you?

I would say approx $100. Do you think i should just charge her for supplies/ingredients?

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 9

I always have the same dilema..........I feel quilty charging my friends & family..... sometimes even customers. I always second guess my prices.....hopefully I'll get over that because we put so much time into these cakes & we really should get paid for our work. Good luck icon_smile.gif

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 9

What I did when I was first deciding to get into business was to sit down and decide if I was going to give family/friends a discount. What I ended up with was doing a 10% discount off the regular price and I've stuck with it. I've not had one family member or friend complain and if they did then I would politely decline to do the order. In fact most of my orders from friends/family have paid me the whole price and not the discounted one! I feel that if I give in to one person that just opens the flood gates for the future. Good luck with whatever you decide!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

Immediate family (brothers, nephews, nieces, Mam) I always do for free as they are my testing ground for any new 'ideas' or 'techniques' I want to try. I do not discount for anyone other than the 3-4 friends who have supported me whole heartedly from the beginning of my cake decorating venture.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry, meant to add....

I have a friend who will tell you that we are the closest friends in the world but that is only when she wants or needs support or something else from me. She is 50 next month and has requested my price list 3 times. I am still waiting for her to let me know her order for her 'party'. I have not received a definite booking from her so have taken other bookings as I am not prepared to decline business on the off chance that she may order a cake. I know for a fact she is expecting a 'freeby' and she is not going to get one. You have to be tough sometimes - especially when you know you are being taken for granted!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 9

My apologies, I don't mean to hijack this, but what would be the pricing for a cheesecake? I know cakes run $3.00 (really low) to around $4 or $5 a serving. Is there a range for cheesecakes, assuming you can get 12 servings out of a 16 inch cake? By the way each one of my plain cheesecakes has 40 oz. of cream cheese and 7 eggs along with crust, sugar..etc.

Aces Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 9

thank you for all your advice!!

I completely agree and i know that i shouldnt be giving out freebies but i tend to feel guilty alot too! We are actually childhood friends so if i was going to give anyone a discount it will be her. I will let you all know what i decide to do, you've all been very helpful icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%